Not all articles showing up with date search

Luke Webb

Jan 13, 2018, 10:36:47 AM1/13/18
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Hello,
I'm trying yo retrieve all articles published on certain days, including tags. But when I request this:
http://content.guardianapis.com/search?from-date=2017-10-31&to-date=2017-10-31&page-size=200&show-tags=all&order-by=newest&page=1&api-key=xxxxx, (changing the page parameter to check all results)
I get a total of 244 results, but not including this article:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/31/algeria-african-migrants-libya-civil-war-europe

This article also doesn't show up when searching by tags, eg:
http://content.guardianapis.com/search?tag=world%2Falgeria&from-date=2017-01-01&to-date=2018-01-01&page-size=30&show-tags=all&order-by=newest&api-key=xxxxx

Am I missing something very obvious here? Or is there a better way to get everything published for any given day?

Many thanks in advance for any help...
Luke

Mariot Chauvin

Jan 13, 2018, 11:05:25 AM1/13/18
to guardian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luke,

On the developers tiers few articles will not be included for rights reason.

You need an api-key on the commercial tiers to get access to all the articles:

Regards,

Mariot

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately. Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.  Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited is a member of Guardian Media Group plc. Registered Office: PO Box 68164, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1P 2AP.  Registered in England Number 908396

Luke Webb

Jan 14, 2018, 3:49:02 AM1/14/18
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Hi Mariot,

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering if thereis there any way as a free user to just get, for example, the links to all the articles that have been published on any given day? I don't need any body text or images, but I would love to be able to provide the headline and a link to all articles that have been published on any given day. I can get the information I want if Irequest, for example, something like this:
http://content.guardianapis.com/world/series/migration-crisis-the-new-routes-to-europe?from-date=2017-10-31&to-date=2017-10-31&show-tags=all&page-size=200&api-key=xxxxx
In that response, I get all the data I need (essentially the url, publication date, and tags), so I know the information is available. (
3
id"world/2017/oct/31/algeria-african-migrants-libya-civil-war-europe"
type"article"
sectionId"world"
sectionName"World news"
webPublicationDate"2017-10-31T05:01:16Z"
webTitle"Adrift in Algiers: African migrants marooned in a new transit bottleneck"
webUrl"https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/31/algeria-african-migrants-libya-civil-war-europe"
apiUrl"https://content.guardianapis.com/world/2017/oct/31/algeria-african-migrants-libya-civil-war-europe"
tags
0
id"world/series/migration-crisis-the-new-routes-to-europe"...[and so on and so on])

I'm not sure I understand why this information doesn't return when I perform a a request by date. Is there any way as a free user to make a request that will include all articles for a given date? Not access to images or the body text, just that existence of the article and a link to it.

Thanks again,
Luke

Mariot Chauvin

Jan 15, 2018, 5:21:18 AM1/15/18
to guardian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luke,

Unfortunately it is not currently possible as articles are put different set depending on you user tiers.
If you are on the developer tiers, some articles will not be available at all due to rights reasons, i.e:
I understand it will be better suits your need if could access limited information for all articles on the developer tiers, but it is not possible.

Regards,

Mariot

Luke Webb

Jan 16, 2018, 1:07:36 PM1/16/18
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Hi Mariot,
Thanks for the information. That is quite dissapointing - I was intending to show geographical information about articles published in the Guardian (not for commercialuse). Just out of interest, and I guess my last question: with a commercial key and performing a search using a date (as in the first example I posted), would that then include everything published on a given day, including tag information? Or is that not available at all?
Many thanks again,
Luke
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to guardian-api-t...@googlegroups.com.

Mariot Chauvin

Jan 16, 2018, 3:22:13 PM1/16/18
On 16 January 2018 at 18:07, Luke Webb <lw....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Mariot,

Thanks for the information. That is quite dissapointing - I was intending to show geographical information about articles published in the Guardian (not for commercialuse). Just out of interest, and I guess my last question: with a commercial key and performing a search using a date (as in the first example I posted), would that then include everything published on a given day, including tag information? Or is that not available at all?

Yes with a commercial key you could have all articles with the tags.
But the number of articles missing on the developers tiers is not so important (just checked and it is currently 12%) so you could test your app/service with the developers tiers