API rate limits

Jon Wade

Apr 15, 2016, 9:29:43 AM4/15/16
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Hey there - I've built an analysis app (http://jonwade.digital/hosted-projects/guardian-api) on the back of your API as part of a project I am doing for a coding academy. It's working great, but I upped the times the API is being polled (trying to get back more articles) and now it seems I'm rate limited and getting a status 429 back from the server. What is the API poll limit per day? Is it possible to increase it for this project? If I know what the limit is, I can write some logic into the app to ensure it doesn't exceed that amount per period. Let me know (and hope you like the app!!). JW

Clinton Yeboah

May 12, 2016, 3:29:26 PM5/12/16
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Hi John, if you are looking for the Guardian API rate limit, this is it:

Developer:  Not more than 12 calls per second, not more than 5000 calls per day -- FREE

Commercial: According to your plan!

according to this link:  http://open-platform.theguardian.com/access/

And according to another link here: you can ask for some more limit if you contact TheGuardian and you are able to convince them: http://open-platform.theguardian.com/documentation/

Good luck bro.