Crosswords API endpoint

Eli Treuherz

Apr 18, 2018, 8:39:21 AM4/18/18
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
I'm a hobbyist programmer and I'd like to play around with the Guardian's crossword data in order to experiment with some things. This repo has the code for a Scala client for a crosswords api, but it seems to be inaccessible. Trying to access the URLs this library refers to using my API key from contnet.guardianapis.com (e.g. http://crosswords.guardianapis.com/cryptic/20172?api-key=[...]), I get an "Invalid API key" message. Is this API defunct, or is there something more I have to do to allow my key to work with it?

Stuart Pike

May 1, 2018, 2:38:35 PM5/1/18
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum

Eli Treuherz

May 1, 2018, 4:38:02 PM5/1/18
to guardian...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been to those endpoints, but as far as I can tell there’s no way to extract the clues or grid from there. I’ve tried show-fields=all, etc. The impression I got from the repo I linked to was that there was at one time an API to get the actual crossword data.

Philip McMahon

Jul 10, 2018, 11:34:14 AM7/10/18
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Hi Eli, sorry for the really slow response - we've been a bit bad at checking this group!

Unfortunately crossword grid data isn't currently available in the public Content API. The reason is that we still give prizes for a couple of crosswords and the API response includes the solutions as well as the clues. Clearly we could work round this by just opening up access to crosswords that are over 2 weeks old, but we don't have the capability to do that at the moment.

crossword.guardianapis.com isn't open to the public - it's a legacy API currently only used by the guardian mobile apps.

Sorry this is such a rubbish slow answer. If you're still looking to do stuff with crosswords let me know, I might be able to sort you out a temporary key to access them.

Thanks

Phil