What exactly can I do with the developer api key - its not clear cut!

Shaj Ali

Apr 20, 2016, 4:36:52 AM4/20/16
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Hello,

Just reading your terms for open platform content and have a question about point 5.

Does this means once I have added a content to my website I need to remove it within 24hrs. I want to sign up for a developer API, just wondering in that case is there any point of adding the article, because in order for my user to read the article I need search engine to index the content to get some traffic. Otherwise if I remove it within 24 hrs it would be a waste of my time and no tangible benefit. I might have misunderstood, hence I need some clarification.

5. Lifecycle of OP Content
You must either replace (by re-requesting) or delete all OP Content you hold (whether or not published on Your Website) at least every 24 hours. For legal reasons, you must not keep any OP Content for longer than 24 hours.

Also, what are the limitations of the developer api key and what exactly can you do with that. I want to start a wordpress can I use your articles on my site and keep them on my site and promote it via social media etc.

http://www.theguardian.com/open-platform/terms-and-conditions

Shaj

Gideon Goldberg

Apr 20, 2016, 4:54:16 AM4/20/16
to guardian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shaj,

This clause just means it is your responsibility to poll for article updates, so if we happen to update or take down an article (which can happen for legal reasons) that this is reflected on your site. You may wish to look at the Wordpress plug-in which will handle this for you.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-guardian-news-feed/

Thanks,

Gideon

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately. Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.  Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited is a member of Guardian Media Group plc. Registered Office: PO Box 68164, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1P 2AP.  Registered in England Number 908396

Shaj Ali

Apr 20, 2016, 5:01:34 AM4/20/16
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Thank you for the response Gideon,

I wanted to also say I am just single developer obviously don't have a business registration I want start promoting some interesting tech articles from Guardian in the long term I can of course may be pay but to start with I am not sure whether I can afford it.

What can I do with the developer license?. Any article I use will carry the guardian advertising of course so this way Guardian will benefit from me pushing guardian to more audience like social media and search engines.

Can I keep the articles on my site forever, I have read the wordpress pluggin documentation it does refresh the articles so it should always stay current.

What are the limitations with the free developer api key?

Thank you again

Shaj

Clinton Yeboah

May 12, 2016, 3:46:26 PM5/12/16
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Hi Shaj,

   Thanks for choosing TheGuardianAPI, I am also a Developer anyway :). OK. So I am also using a Developer Key:

Instance 1: If you are just going to display News Content without much searching, I don' think you need to worry much. You can make more than 3 calls in a minute. Actually 2. So just write some script to poll for data at some specific time or event.

The best way, is to have a web server, that makes the call and displays it. Visitors to your page should not request the API but your local data, and your local data should keep itself updated.

Instance 2: Providing search feature. Providing search can be a bit dangerous. Users can place queries as at when they like, You could not aniticipate the users search, so you might need to let them query the API. For this, you might need some advance techniques. You can cache some results locally to make sure, you don't waste your rate limit on same calls. Or better you can contact TheGuardian for an increase in rate limit, which I haven't tried myself.

Difference between Developer and Commercial:

As the name suggests, Developer is for developers and Commercial for commercials. We are simply developers, so usually this is even enough. You have 5000 calls per day. Divided by 1440 (minutes in a day). You get somewhere close to 3 calls in a minute. This means , if you need consistent polling, you have maximum of 3 calls in a minute.

Apart from rate limit, there are few differences that I know of: for example; Image quality. But I think these things are manageable for a beginner like us.

Lets have fun!

Clinton Yeboah

May 12, 2016, 3:49:40 PM5/12/16
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
For more info on rate limit, please check the question just below your question. I think I mentioned rate limits there.