What is the time coverage of articles in Guardian API?

glogg_

Sep 29, 2015, 11:55:10 AM9/29/15
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Hi,

I'm trying to create long-run indicators of how many articles in the Guardian contained a particular word. On this page it says "items [are] available published as far back as 1999". But when I search through the API I found older articles.

Consider this search for "Lincoln" for example:

It returns articles from 1862 and 1865, but then jumps to 1956. I would be grateful for information on which articles are included. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Lukas

Mariot Chauvin

Oct 5, 2015, 11:01:51 AM10/5/15
to guardian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lukas,

We publish selected articles from our archives at their original publication date but the majority of the content originates from the
1990s onwards when we began publishing digitally.

Best regards,

Mariot

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately. Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.  Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited is a member of Guardian Media Group plc. Registered Office: PO Box 68164, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1P 2AP.  Registered in England Number 908396

glogg_

Oct 14, 2015, 9:31:22 AM10/14/15
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Dear Mariot,

Thank you for your reply.

It's a pity that the old publications are not accessible throught the API. The older publications are probably also available in electronic format, so is there any particular reason for not granting access to those?

Best regards,
Lukas

Gideon Goldberg

Oct 14, 2015, 9:41:34 AM10/14/15
to guardian...@googlegroups.com
Only more recent articles are available in the Content Management
Systems which the Content API uses as its data sources.

Currently, I am not aware of plans to make a large amount of older
articles in the Content API due to these constraints.
--

Nitin Agrawal

Oct 30, 2017, 9:29:30 AM10/30/17
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Is there any other way to access the old digital archives not encompassed by this API?