Google Earth Tutorial: Polygons

Geobrowser

Oct 4, 2011, 8:45:17 PM10/4/11
to GTIcom...@googlegroups.com

The following are notes on my GTI presentations about how to create Polygons in Google Earth. If you have questions please add a reply to this post and I respond as soon as I can (if someone else doesn’t answer first!)  -JB

(1) What is a Polygon?

A "polygon" in Google Earth is a series of vertices tessellated together to form the borders of a solid shape. In the KML code is a member of the <Placemark> family.

(2) Creating Paths

There are a number of ways to add KML objects in Google Earth. The three simplest methods to create a Polygon are:

(1) Use the menus (Add -> Polygon)
(2) Click on the icon (showing an irregular hexagon) in the toolbar

(3) Right-click on the folder in the Sidebar and select Add -> Polygon

When the dialog box appears move the cursor into the 3D Earth browser, and click on the globe to create vertices. These will automatically become connected by line segments the space between them filled white.

To change the thickness/color/opacity of the Polygon select options under the "Style, Color" tab in the dialog box. These settings can be changed for the boundary line and/or Polygon fill.

In "Style,Color" under "Area" there is a drop-down menu option to show just the boundary line (Outlined), just the fill (Filled) or both (Filled + Outlined)

(3) Editing Polygons

To edit a Polygon reopen the dialog box by selecting the Polygon in the sidebar (click on it so it is highlighted in light blue) and right-click (ctrl-click on Mac). Select Properties (PC) or Get Info (Mac) at the bottom of the menu.

The dialog box will appear and the vertices defining the boundary will appear in the 3D browser as square red dots.

To Select a Vertex for Editing - Roll the cursor over the chosen vertex (it will turn green) and left-click on the vertex (it will turn blue)

  • To Delete a Vertex – Select a vertex (see above) and press delete (or backspace).

  • To Move a Vertex – Select a vertex (see above). Hold down the left-click and drag the vertex to a new location.

  • To Add a Vertex – Select a vertex (see above) in at the segment of the Polygon’s boundary to add vertices to, and click in the 3D browser.

(4) Creating 3D structures

Open the dialog box and select the "Altitude" tab. In the drop down menu change Clamped to ground to Relative to ground, and make the Altitude a value, e.g., 1000m. Note: In mountainous terrain not all the Polygon will appear above the landscape if it is not raised high enough.

To create sides, select Extend path to ground. The color of these sides can now be changed under the "Style, Color" tab (the values for "Area").

This a simple 3D shape. More complex shapes, that can be have textures applied require the use of <Model> another type of KML <Placemark> that is best created through the use of SketchUp.

KML Examples

Google Campus
– polygons with different colors, opacities and altitudes delineate buildings at Google’s Mountain View Campus

Animated US States – Translucent Polygons used to map the 50 US States.

This file is animated using the KML Time Primitive, so when opened the time slider appears at the top of the left of the browser window. On pressing play, the polygons will appear according to the chronological order that the states joined the union.

Polygon (State) names will appear when zooming in.

The polygons are clickable – this will display description balloons with information on each state.

(modified from work by Brian Flood, http://www.arc2earth.com/)

James Hone

Nov 5, 2015, 6:13:42 AM11/5/15
to GeoTeachersInstitute
When it comes to editing a polygon, is it possible to make the same change to multiple polygons, easily. I have a bunch of polygons that are filled with the color blue and I would like to have them all green. I don't want to go to each individual one and change the fill color, I would like to select the whole lot of them and change them. Is this possible?

Edson Simão Jr

May 26, 2017, 8:56:07 AM5/26/17
to GeoTeachersInstitute
I have two doubts:

1. Is it possible to reduce the number of vertices in a polygon? From time to time I see squares with hundreds - sometimes thousands - of vertices, and for that 4 would be enough.

2. Can I move a polygon on the map so that it fits visually over an area?

Thanks in advance.

charles platt

Jul 21, 2020, 2:18:17 AM7/21/20
to GeoTeachersInstitute
Has the polygon editing feature been eliminated, or does it only work during the session when the polygon is first created? When I close Google Earth and then reopen it, if I right-click the polygon name in the sidebar, I get a submenu that only allows cut/delete and no edit option.

John Aguirre

Aug 1, 2020, 6:46:46 PM8/1/20
to GeoTeachersInstitute
Charles, just right click the polygon in the sidebar and go to properties, this will enter the edit mode of the polygon and allow you to move vertices.