Error Code 2869 on Windows XP upon Installation of GFW

Seacow

Dec 2, 2009, 2:45:37 AM12/2/09
to growl for windows
As shown in the Subject line, I get error code 2869 on Windows XP when
I install GFW. What could be wrong?

Brian Dunnington

Dec 2, 2009, 10:12:01 AM12/2/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
run the setup.exe file, *not* the .msi file.

Vista and Win7 will not elevate your privileges correctly if you run
the .msi directly.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Seacow <uaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As shown in the Subject line, I get error code 2869 on Windows XP when
> I install GFW. What could be wrong?

Seacow

Dec 2, 2009, 3:12:30 PM12/2/09
to growl for windows
Err...this is Windows XP. Even if I run the .msi or the .exe it
doesn't install.

Brian Dunnington

Dec 2, 2009, 3:17:51 PM12/2/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
i am not sure then. the only people who have said they were getting
the 2869 error were all running the .msi directly. once they ran the
.exe, it installed properly.

the only other thing i can suggest is to make sure you are running as
an administrator when you try the install. you dont have to be an
admin to run GfW, but you probably do to install it (since it writes
to Program Files and the registry upon installation).

Brian Dunnington

Dec 2, 2009, 3:19:23 PM12/2/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
you can also try the tip from this article:
http://stay-at-home-startup.blogspot.com/2008/04/error-code-2869.html

(all it does is make sure the install runs as admin)

Seacow

Dec 2, 2009, 3:32:06 PM12/2/09
to growl for windows
Although installing it with the command from the article, opening the
Growl.exe doesn't work. The error message is:

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Process ID=0xl5e0 (5600), Thread ID=0xl0d0 (4304).
Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.

Sometimes the Process and Thread ID will change.

Andy Cater

Dec 2, 2009, 3:35:25 PM12/2/09
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
.net client installed?