Subscription issues

MDGrein

Oct 5, 2011, 1:40:53 PM10/5/11
to growl for windows
I have installed Growl For Windows on my server where it handily
gathers notifications from other machines spread across the Internet.
The remote notifications arrives at my server without issues,
therefore I assume that my firewall and router settings is in order.

On the same LAN as the server machine I have my workstation with
another installment of Growl that is subscribed to the Growl on the
server. My workstation recieves all notifications as it shuld.

I've recently installed the Growl For Android, I know it's an early
release, When I set up my phone to subscribe to my server the phone
says that I'm subscribed and the phone is also present in the
"forwarding" column on the server.
It however does not recieve any notifications of any sort. But the app
is alpha and I suppose this is why it doesn't work as intended.

My real problem is however that when I try to subscribe to my server
with my laptop it refuses to work at all. The laptop has the exact
same settings as the phone but nothing, Grawl simply says "server
unavaliable" and the laptop does NOT appear in the "forawrding" column
at the server dispite the phone doing this with the exact same
settings.

Any ideas why this might be?

Brian Dunnington

Oct 5, 2011, 2:20:33 PM10/5/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
strange indeed. can you verify that your laptop can access the server
directly (outside of GfW)? for example, via telnet? make sure the
hostname/ipaddress and port on the server are visible to the laptop.
if they are not, then the subscription will not work (behind the
scenes, it is just sending data over a TCP socket). if the laptop
*can* telnet to the server/port, then we can do from there.

MDGrein

Oct 5, 2011, 2:29:27 PM10/5/11
to growl for windows
Telnetting to the server from my laptop gives this output when
aggrivated a bit with random input:
GNTP/1.0 -ERROR NONE
Error-Code: 301
Error-Description: Malformed request
Origin-Machine-Name: LEMON
Origin-Software-Name: Growl/Win
Origin-Software-Version: 2.0.7.2
Origin-Platform-Name: Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1
Origin-Platform-Version: 6.0.6001.65536

In other words, it seems to connect just fine.

Man do I feel retarded, for some extremly odd reason my laptops
firewall was blocking Growl even though it shuld always allow all
outgoing traffic.
Is a subscription setting up a local server that the "master" server
connects to when a notification arrives meaning that one needs to
allow incoming connections to Grawl for it to work?
I never got a question from my firewall regarding Growl, I'm using
Eset Smart Security.

Thanks for an awsome pile o code and your fast response.

Brian Dunnington

Oct 5, 2011, 2:33:51 PM10/5/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
glad to hear you got it sorted out.

a subscription is essentially the client saying to the server "i would
like to have your notifications forwarded to me" and thus the behavior
on the server it to add the client to its own list of forward
destinations. there is no other magic, so if you manually added the
client to the server's list of forwarded destinations, it would work
exactly the same as a subscription (well, except that if the client
goes offline, the subscription is revoked until it comes online again,
whereas a manually-entered forward setting would persist whether the
client were online or not).

MDGrein

Oct 5, 2011, 2:48:08 PM10/5/11
to growl for windows
So the server connects to my laptop and gives it the notifications?

That would explain why it was blocked by the firewall despite it
allowing all outgoing connections.
Does this mean that if I wanted to subscribe to my server with a
machine behind a router I would haveto forward the Growl ports?

Brian Dunnington

Oct 5, 2011, 2:57:02 PM10/5/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the server gives the notifications to the laptop. You would
indeed have to forward the ports if the destination machine is behind
a router.

I think that some people assume that a 'subscription' allows the
client to open the connection (outgoing) and that the server will then
use that open connection to send the notifications over (which would
be a good feature), but that is not how it works. Since a subscription
is really just a 'hey, forward to me too!' request, all of the normal
forwarding restrictions still apply.

MDGrein

Oct 5, 2011, 3:20:57 PM10/5/11
to growl for windows
Thank for clearing that up. Atleast I assumed that it would allow the
client to open the connection, perhaps this needs to be clarified in
some way.

Then the only issue remaining is why notifications won't show up on my
phone, is this due to it beeing alpha or shuld it work?
I've removed the firewall and routing bits of the problem by having my
phone subscribe to the laptop while they are both on the same LAN.
Still no notifications appear on the phone. For testing purposes I
installed the winamp plugin and began spamming away after both phone
and laptop indicated that everything shuld work dandily but nothing.

Any ideas?

Brian Dunnington

Oct 5, 2011, 3:31:46 PM10/5/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
sorry, no ideas on the phone part. i dont have an Android phone, so i
dont have much experience with the Growl for Android app. i know that
a few people had it working at one point, so it shouldnt simply
because the code just flat out doesnt work at all. beyond that though,
i am afraid i am not much help. definitely try asking over on their
Google Code repository:
http://code.google.com/p/growlforandroid/issues/list - they will be
able to help much more than i will at this point.

MDGrein

Oct 5, 2011, 3:36:21 PM10/5/11
to growl for windows
Thanks alot for your help and all your work.

//Andreas Grehn

On 5 Okt, 21:31, Brian Dunnington <briandunning...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sorry, no ideas on the phone part. i dont have an Android phone, so i
> dont have much experience with the Growl for Android app. i know that
> a few people had it working at one point, so it shouldnt simply
> because the code just flat out doesnt work at all. beyond that though,
> i am afraid i am not much help. definitely try asking over on their
> Google Code repository:http://code.google.com/p/growlforandroid/issues/list- they will be

Peter Sinnott

Oct 5, 2011, 4:25:45 PM10/5/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
I just installed the app. It didn't work at first but after messing
about for a bit I got it to work.

I'm not 100% sure what did it but my best guess is that it was user
error. Subscribing to the pc from the phone adds the phone to the
forward list in networks but it does not turn on forwarding. Possibly
I initially didn't turn on forwarding.
I also needed to add a port forward on my wifi router. You will need
to do that if your pc is not on wifi.

2 Strange things , the forward to the phone seems to disappear after a
couple of moments. If this is happening add one manually yourself and
see if it lasts longer. The Android app force closed a couple of times
before I started receiving messages. I'm not sure of the significance
of that.

MDGrein

Oct 5, 2011, 4:37:34 PM10/5/11
to growl for windows
I have forwarding turned on and to be sure I forced the winamp plugin
application to always forward notifications.
My phone also seems to shut down the app from time to time. Atleast it
resets it's connection to the GfW instance cus I keep getting the "new
thing has registered to get notifications" notification.
Both phone and laptop is connected to the same WiFi so there shuldn't
be any need to set up any sort of NAT rules.
What phone model do you have? I'm on a Desire Z.

My thoughts is that it's alpha-code related and a tad glitchy, your
experience with it force closing before it started to work seems to,
in my eyes, confirm that.

Brian Dunnington

Oct 5, 2011, 4:41:19 PM10/5/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Carey Bishop is the dev of Growl for Andriod and he does check these
forums sometimes, but if you contact him via his Google Code page for
the app, he is super good about responding, so perhaps he can help get
you guys sorted out. Hoping that by mentioning his name in here, maybe
this will catch his attention =)

Peter Sinnott

Oct 5, 2011, 4:49:57 PM10/5/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Mine is a HTC Desire but it has MIUI installed instead of stock.

The stacktrace for when it crashes is below. Otherwise it seems to
work for me now.

app_vercode:1
device_model:bravo
build_version:109160
condition:1
processName:com.growlforandroid.client
pid:437
uid:10121
tag:null
shortMsg:java.lang.NullPointerException
longMsg:java.lang.NullPointerException: Unable to stop service
com.growlforandroid.client.GrowlListenerService@40696d68:
java.lang.NullPointerException
stackTrace:java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to stop service
com.growlforandroid.client.GrowlListenerService@40696d68:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleStopService(ActivityThread.java:2099)
at android.app.ActivityThread.access$2900(ActivityThread.java:117)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:997)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:130)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:3703)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:841)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:599)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
at com.growlforandroid.client.GrowlListenerService.stop(GrowlListenerService.java:184)
at com.growlforandroid.client.GrowlListenerService.onDestroy(GrowlListenerService.java:158)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleStopService(ActivityThread.java:2082)

Carey Bishop

Oct 8, 2011, 4:02:12 AM10/8/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

Glad to hear there's a bit of interest in Growl for Android! I haven't spent much time on it recently, as it didn't seem to be something people were interested in.

There are definitely some Force Close issues that I need to resolve. These can mean that the background service that receives the notifications can die off, without the Growl entry disappearing from the notifications list, so it may appear to be running even though it's not.

I do have an updated build in progress, that adds a couple of extra features as well, so I'll spend some more time on it. I've also been looking at using Cloud-to-Device messaging to make it easier to receive notifications when you're out and about, without worrying about pesky port forwarding issues, but I doubt I'll have that ready any time soon.

Thanks,
  Carey

Skip

Oct 8, 2011, 8:37:01 AM10/8/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Carey,
That would be fantastic. I am writing a C2DM application right now and it is quite easy. If you need any help, please let me know.

Skip

Carey Bishop

Oct 8, 2011, 10:58:23 PM10/8/11
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Skip.

I don't think that the C2DM stuff that will be a problem, I just need to sort out how I'm going to host the service and receive messages from other Growl instances, so it needs a bit of design thought put into it.

Carey