Growl not sending email notifications v2.0.8

HowardSternIsBatman

Mar 11, 2012, 2:40:11 PM3/11/12
to growl for windows
hello,

Just getting going and I am receiving growl notifications locally on
screen. Then I moved on to trying to forward those notifications to an
email account which is where I am falling down.

I want to fwd to gmail, I set the smtp settings to smtp.gmail.com port
587, use authentication MYG...@gmail.com and then added the
password.

These are the same settings I use in Outlook so I know they work.

I set the application forwarding option to the email action/rule.
History tab shows the notification that would trigger the action, Idel
settings = never consider me idle or away.

No email is received. What am I missing?

thanks,

Babbabooey to'yall

Brian Dunnington

Mar 12, 2012, 4:06:38 PM3/12/12
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
hmm - i havent had any trouble with the email forwarding but i have
not been using it for awhile now. i will take a look and see what i
can figure out.

HowardSternIsBatman

Mar 13, 2012, 1:30:27 PM3/13/12
to growl for windows
thank you for your reply. I did get it working for a few mins :-) Now
it stopped again. Please don't spend anytime on this....I bet I have a
setting somewhere fouling it up.

Cheers,

DoubleA you're on the air....

On Mar 12, 4:06 pm, Brian Dunnington <briandunning...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> hmm - i havent had any trouble with the email forwarding but i have
> not been using it for awhile now. i will take a look and see what i
> can figure out.
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM, HowardSternIsBatman
>

> <howardsternisbat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hello,
>
> > Just getting going and I am receiving growl notifications locally on
> > screen. Then I moved on to trying to forward those notifications to an
> > email account which is where I am falling down.
>
> > I want to fwd to gmail, I set the smtp settings to smtp.gmail.com port
> > 587, use authentication MYGM...@gmail.com and then added the
> > password.
>
> > These are the same settings I use in Outlook so I know they work.
>
> > I set the application forwarding option to the email action/rule.
> > History tab shows the notification that would trigger the action, Idel
> > settings = never consider me idle or away.
>
> > No email is received. What am I missing?
>
> > thanks,
>
> > Babbabooey to'yall

Daniel

May 18, 2012, 11:39:48 AM5/18/12
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

sending email notifications doesn't work for me too.

My setup: growl 2.0.9.1
Windows 7 64 Bit

I tried two different mail-server with ssl-support, which do work for my normal mail program, but no mail is delivered. I tried 465 (SSL) and 587 (TLS) as the port, but nothing worked.

If I disabled SSL in growl and changed the port to 25, then the mail will be sent.

The Debug-Log isn't useful here - the log shows this for a mail which was sent over SSL / port 465 and which wasn't delivered:

===================================
Timestamp: 18.05.2012 17:19:09
Notification Origin: 192.168.51.20 [LAN - same subnet]
Displayed using '[Default]' (Smokestack)
Forwarding to Daniel (us...@xyz.com - ([Any Priority]/Always))
Forwarded to Email 'Daniel' - Minimum Priority:'<any>', Actual Priority:'Normal'
===================================

It seem that the SSL-part is not working?

greeting, Daniel

Brian Dunnington

May 21, 2012, 2:31:40 PM5/21/12
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com
I will see if I can find an accessible SSL-enabled mail server to test with and see if I can find the issue. I remember forwarding email to my gmail account back when I first wrote the email forwarder and it worked then, but perhaps something has changes in the mean time.

Stephen Cohen

Oct 14, 2013, 3:56:56 PM10/14/13
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com, howardste...@gmail.com
Harold, I've changed my settings with which to send an email notification to my gmail account.  No email is received.  Here is the output from the growl log file:

Timestamp: 10/14/2013 2:51:04 PM
Notification Origin: 192.168.1.4 [LAN - same subnet]
Displayed using '[Default]' (Standard)
Forwarding to Steve's gmail account (my.us...@gmail.com - ([Any Priority]/Always))
Forwarded to Email 'Steve's gmail account' - Minimum Priority:'<any>', Actual Priority:'Normal'

Although there is documentation stating there ought to be a second log file containing the responses growl receives, I can't find it. The two log files I receive are:
1) log of registration
2) log of notification

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:19:08 AM UTC-5, Harold Robinson wrote:
Notifications are working for me.

My settings are as follows:

Email Address:  myemail...@gmail.com
SMTP SETTINGS
Server:  smtp.gmail.com
Port:  587
Check "Use Authentication"
Check "Use SSL"
User Name:  myemail...@gmail.com
Password:  MyPassword
Click the word Done
THEN click SAVE

SABNzb and System Monitor have both auto registered with Growl and are giving me regular status updates.

With System Monitor you MUST HAVE .net 4.0 installed.  Then you must set up the alerts in the System Monitor Configurator, which is a separate application.

Stephen Cohen

Oct 14, 2013, 9:26:15 PM10/14/13
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com, howardste...@gmail.com
Upon reading the error messages in /var/log/mail.log, it appears that gmail won't work with pi mail if gmail's "2-step" verification process is turned on. This is because there is know way to know how pi mail looks to gmail.

Turning off 2-step verification fixed the issue.  But it would be nice to figure out how gmail sees the pi mail connection so that it can be registered with the 2-step process.

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:19:08 AM UTC-5, Harold Robinson wrote:
Notifications are working for me.

My settings are as follows:

Email Address:  myemail...@gmail.com
SMTP SETTINGS
Server:  smtp.gmail.com
Port:  587
Check "Use Authentication"
Check "Use SSL"
User Name:  myemail...@gmail.com
Password:  MyPassword
Click the word Done
THEN click SAVE

SABNzb and System Monitor have both auto registered with Growl and are giving me regular status updates.

With System Monitor you MUST HAVE .net 4.0 installed.  Then you must set up the alerts in the System Monitor Configurator, which is a separate application.

Robert Teel

Oct 15, 2013, 12:24:43 PM10/15/13
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com, growl-fo...@googlegroups.com, howardste...@gmail.com
If you have two 2-step authentication enabled you need to register an application specific password for use with growl and use it in place of your normal password :)

Stephen Cohen

Oct 15, 2013, 1:07:14 PM10/15/13
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com, howardste...@gmail.com
How does one learn the name of the app to enter into the 2-step process?

Robert Teel

Oct 15, 2013, 1:25:29 PM10/15/13
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com, growl-fo...@googlegroups.com, howardste...@gmail.com
You can put any name you want there. I used GfW as mine.

 Basically how it works is that it checks the sent password against each of your app specific passwords until it finds a match or it runs out of passwords to check against.  The name is for your reference.  A good example is I actually have a "deeply" app configured. It's the app specific password for my iPhone's email client. :)

Stephen Cohen

Oct 16, 2013, 3:32:42 PM10/16/13
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com, howardste...@gmail.com
So I create a name, say, 'Growl Notifier', and the 2-step give me the code 'AbCd EfGh IjKl MnOp'. Is that code then used as the application password?  It seems that I tried that and it didn't work, but I'll turn 2-step back on and try it again.

Thanks.

Matthias Stuebner

Dec 26, 2014, 3:29:10 PM12/26/14
to growl-fo...@googlegroups.com, howardste...@gmail.com
As I ran into this problem today too I want present my solution. I took Harolds settings

Email Address:  myemail...@gmail.com
SMTP SETTINGS
Server:  smtp.gmail.com
Port:  587
Check "Use Authentication"
Check "Use SSL"
User Name:  myemail...@gmail.com
Password:  MyPassword
Click the word Done
THEN click SAVE

and configured the App-Password (https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords?pli=1) because I use the two factor auth, and it worked immediately.

The "mistake" I did before was, that I used the Port 465 with SSL checked, instead of 587.

vg Matthias