Abstractions, Reuse in 3GLs

Seima Rao

Nov 28, 2015, 2:37:32 AM11/28/15
to Growing Object-Oriented Software
Hi,

    One of object oriented programming's key features are how well one
    can build higher-level abstractions and how well one can reuse code.

    My fundamental question is what are modern day benchmarks
    on quality object oriented programming ?

    The Standard Template Library of the programming language C++
    was a good way to educate people about a good approach to
    programming in C++. Their implementors were good object oriented programmers.

    Unfortunately, the quality of the STLs specifically in the context of
    OOPs has the following attributes:

       i) Data structures and OOPs is a very beginner's foray into discussing
          OOPs. Why ? Everyone learns about data structures in their
          day to day lives and implementing them in OOPs is no big deal.

           DS are one of the oldest known subjects. And they are a System science.

         Besides, the implementation of DS in C++ STL is not discussed
         from a *designer's point of view*. So, if one were to seek
        the horse's mouth version of the first small step in Industrial Strength
        OOPs programming, there is none(header files are the only source).

      ii) STLs are old by modern day standards. So, from a design point of
           view, in 2015 there are no refreshes in OOPs design (in the context
          of a 3GL) from the implementors of STL.

    Why I mention STL is that because C++ (and C derived OOPLs) are
    indeed taught in many books on object orientation. And so far
    we only have these as introduction to abstractions, reuse etc.

    Does this touch you ? Has there been a design evolution to more beautiful
   application of object orientation considering that so many years
    have been spent on object oriented programming ?

    Additionally, what recourse does one take to learn the holy grail of object-orientation ?

    Both in terms of design & implementation ?

Sincerely,
Seima Rao.

Steve Freeman

Nov 28, 2015, 5:25:03 AM11/28/15
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
It would help people to respond if you could give us some context for your question. Is this just a personal interest, or are you in the middle of some larger discussion?

Sent from my iPhone
--

---

Kim Gräsman

Nov 28, 2015, 9:04:18 AM11/28/15
to GOOS

Hi Seima, I don't have a real answer for you, but I wanted to mention that the C++ STL library is rarely touted as an OO library at all. I think most people see it as a model for generic programming in C++. The STL is all about separation of state and algorithms, which feels pretty un-OO...

- Kim