Is there someone who use ATDD in game server programming?

Han

Sep 3, 2014, 8:50:53 PM9/3/14
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
I am online game server programmer.
Recently I read GOOS, and I have been trying to use TDD on my project.

but It's hard to apply and there are many problems( dependency, there is no unit test before. and this is distribute server, and asyncronous)

i wonder is there someone who develop online game server by TDD and c++?

Josue Barbosa dos Santos

Sep 4, 2014, 7:50:27 AM9/4/14
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

From the XP discussion list I know the following pdf (Integration Test Servers for Videogames):

I did not have time to read the article (it is in my to read list) and I don´t know it is what you are looking for, but may be it could help you in some way.

You can also ask in the XP list as this pdf was posted there (Phlip). Search for "gameTestServer" and you will see the threads and who posted it.

--

---

Chris Parsons

Sep 4, 2014, 11:46:57 AM9/4/14
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
I started my career in games years ago. I’m mostly on the web these days, but still write C++ games in my spare time and I try to test all my code.

It’s definitely possible. Through attempting to TDD my current game, I have found that my mental models and practices for how to build C++ games were deficient: I was using a naïve version of OO with a lot of dependencies, which caused the test code to be verbose and brittle.

Data-oriented design techniques have dramatically helped me to improve my testing. Coincidentally have just done a presentation today which touches on testing and data-oriented design in games programming - have a look: https://speakerdeck.com/chrismdp/separating-allocation-from-code

Would be good to hear more about the specific problems you are facing… could you post more detail?

Thanks
Chris

--
Chris Parsons

Steve Freeeman

Sep 5, 2014, 4:56:10 AM9/5/14
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
you should probably mention Greenspun's Law.

Han

Sep 9, 2014, 9:45:50 PM9/9/14
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
what do you mean??
can you explain more for me??

Steve Freeeman

Sep 10, 2014, 5:09:20 AM9/10/14
to growing-object-o...@googlegroups.com
try searching for Greenspun's Tenth Rule...