[groovy-user] FW: Scriptom: question and problem

1 view

Smith, Jason, CTR, OASD(HA)/TMA

Dec 10, 2007, 10:14:21 AM12/10/07
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org, d...@groovy.codehaus.org
There was a bug in Scriptom 1.5 Builds 8 and 9 that would not allow it
to run with Java 5. Build 10, currently available for download, fixes
the bug.

Jochen, please use Build 10 for the Windows Installer build. Thanks!

Jason Smith

Dec 10, 2007, 10:32:41 AM12/10/07
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org
Smith, Jason, CTR, OASD(HA)/TMA schrieb:

> There was a bug in Scriptom 1.5 Builds 8 and 9 that would not allow it
> to run with Java 5. Build 10, currently available for download, fixes
> the bug.
>
> Jochen, please use Build 10 for the Windows Installer build. Thanks!

that's Joachim. Joachim Baumann, not Jochen Theodorou ;)

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou
The Groovy Project Tech Lead (http://groovy.codehaus.org)

Smith, Jason, CTR, OASD(HA)/TMA

Dec 10, 2007, 10:28:06 AM12/10/07
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org
I am moving this email to the user list because I don't think I can send
email directly to Alexander from my email account.

In regards to crashes in Scriptom 1.2:

Scriptom is based on Jacob, which is a JNI library that connects Java to
Windows COM. Writing a generic library to handle all of the
idiosyncracies of COM as related to Java - well, it's tricky. Scriptom
1.2 uses an older version of Jacob, and there were some memory leaks and
JVM crashes that have been fixed in later versions. The latest version
is pretty stable, but I still know a couple of ways to crash the JVM if
I really want to. :-) They are being worked.

Stability is one of the things that Scriptom helps with. In places
where I know the code in Jacob can be "unstable," Scriptom tends to
steer you away from that. Scriptom covers, I think, the full
functionality set of Jacob (and even a little bit more), but it doesn't
use every API to do it. The result is that when you are using Scriptom,
you are using the more tried-and-true parts of Jacob, and you can expect
it to be pretty stable.

If you find a way to crash the JVM using Scriptom, you can report it in
our JIRA. I am quite sure there are still ways I don't know about yet.
Please be sure to check the JIRA first. :-) There are a couple of well
known ways to crash the JVM now, but you should not see them in normal
use - they are more edge cases.

Best of luck!

Smith, Jason, CTR, OASD(HA)/TMA

Dec 10, 2007, 10:29:46 AM12/10/07
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org
Dang! I knew that! Sorry - had a case of American-brain.

Jason Smith

A. Tres Finocchiaro

Dec 14, 2007, 7:38:20 AM12/14/07
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org
Jason,

Did Scriptom jump back a version lol?

The tutorial I wrote was for Scriptom 2.0, but the site shows Scriptom 1.5 as latest.  Thanks!

-Tres

'D:\java\scriptom- 1.5\examples\excel\report.xls'.

Caught: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
java.util.ResourceBundle.containsKey(Ljava/lang/String;)Z

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
java.util.ResourceBundle.containsKey(Ljava/lang/String;)Z
        at
com.jacob.com.LibraryLoader.loadJacobLibrary(LibraryLoader.java:142)

        at com.jacob.com.ComThread.<clinit>(ComThread.java:167)

        at
org.codehaus.groovy.scriptom.Scriptom.initMTA (Scriptom.java:228)

        at
org.codehaus.groovy.scriptom.Scriptom.withMTA(Scriptom.java:134)

        at
org.codehaus.groovy.scriptom.Scriptom.inApartment(Scriptom.java:187)

        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0 (Native Method)

        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke (Unknown Source)

[...]

        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke (Unknown Source)

[...]

- Tres.Fin...@gmail.com

Smith, Jason, CTR, OASD(HA)/TMA

Dec 14, 2007, 10:13:11 AM12/14/07
to us...@groovy.codehaus.org
Yep.

Let me explain, because it is kind of weird, but it makes sense.

The original plan was to go from Groovy 1.0, to Groovy 1.1, to Groovy
1.2, and then to Groovy 2.0.

Scriptom was already at 1.2, which meant it would take 2 release cycles
to sync up the version numbers. The plan is to (eventually) have
Scriptom major and minor version numbers synced up with the major and
minor versions of Groovy.

Well, at the last minute, someone came up with the bright idea that
Groovy 1.1 should be rebranded to Groovy 1.5. First of all, who is
taking credit for that idea? Second of all, it actually is a pretty
good idea because Groovy 1.1 turned out to be a major feature
enhancement release, not just about bug fixes.

Since we were still in beta with Scriptom 2.0, we decided it was okay to
also change the version of Scriptom to 1.5 to match.

Last minute change? Absolutely.

So Scriptom 2.0 won't be out for some time. :-) However, Scriptom 1.5
does everything that Scriptom 2.0 did. And hopefully there will be no
more major version number changes at the last minute.

Jason Smith