Android IDE

Ben Rousch

Jan 23, 2014, 4:45:17 PM1/23/14
to GR Mobile Dev
To help me understand Android APIs and program flow better, I want to dip my toes into some Java-based Android development (instead on my usual Python for Android via Kivy). The books I have are pretty old, so of course they only mention Eclipse as the Android IDE. Is everyone still using Eclipse, or have folks switched to Android Studio now?

--
 Ben Rousch
   bro...@gmail.com

Andrew Struve

Jan 23, 2014, 5:11:17 PM1/23/14
to grmob...@googlegroups.com

Android studio still is not a good replacement for eclipse. Last time i tried it i was very confused.

Ron Lauzon

Jan 23, 2014, 5:17:13 PM1/23/14
to grmob...@googlegroups.com
I just tried to install Android Studio and it's not fully baked yet.  Stick with Eclipse for now.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://webpages.charter.net/rlauzon/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64

Nic Jansma

Jan 23, 2014, 5:57:15 PM1/23/14
to grmob...@googlegroups.com
I'm still using Eclipse.  Tried AS, but it doesn't have everything I need (and I use Eclipse for most of my other development anyways...)
- Nic
http://nicj.net/
@NicJ

Joshua Hulst

Jan 23, 2014, 7:24:50 PM1/23/14
to grmob...@googlegroups.com
I really like IntelliJ (Platform Android Studio is based off). There are some really nice tools in IntelliJ and it's similar enough to Android Studio that when AS is finally stable enough, you'll feel right at home.

Josh

Thanh Nguyen

Jan 23, 2014, 8:32:44 PM1/23/14
to grmob...@googlegroups.com

There's Android IDE, if you're up to the challenging of developing ON an Android device.

Thanh T. Nguyen (阮天青)
http://thanhtnguyen.net/
m...@thanhtnguyen.net

On Jan 23, 2014 4:45 PM, "Ben Rousch" <bro...@gmail.com> wrote:

Carlus Henry

Jan 24, 2014, 1:35:59 PM1/24/14
to grmob...@googlegroups.com
I just had a conversation with someone about this today.

I am a huge Eclipse fan.  HUGE.

At the same time, there are definitely some shortcomings in Eclipse as far as Android Development is concerned.  Specifically, where I think that Android Studio may have the upper hand is:

* Designing Screens (Immediate feedback is much better than switching tabs in Eclipse)
* Integrated build system.  The fact that Eclipse cannot natively recognize an apklib can be annoying, especially when trying to use command line build tools like Maven or Gradle

Still what that being said, at this time, I would still choose Eclipse over Android Studio.  Especially as a beginner.  At some point and time when Android Studio matures, I will bite the bullet and start working with it.  But if you are just getting started, and would rather focus on learning Android Development as oppose to bumping into the quirks of an IDE that is still in development, I would recommend using Eclipse.

Happy coding!!!