gremlin server with neo4j plugin on OSX

Damien Seguy

Dec 4, 2017, 9:25:02 AM12/4/17
to Gremlin-users
Hi all,

I work with a gremlin-server, and use tinkergraph or neo4j plugin.

The installation i recommend is the following (3.3 also tested, with -i => installation)
curl -o apache-tinkerpop-gremlin-server-3.2.6-bin.zip http://ftp.tudelft.nl/apache/tinkerpop/3.2.6/apache-tinkerpop-gremlin-server-3.2.6-bin.zip
unzip apache-tinkerpop-gremlin-server-3.2.6-bin.zip
mv apache-tinkerpop-gremlin-server-3.2.6 tinkergraph
rm -rf apache-tinkerpop-gremlin-server-3.2.6-bin.zip

# Optional : install neo4j engine.
cd tinkergraph
bin/gremlin-server.sh -i org.apache.tinkerpop neo4j-gremlin 3.2.6
cd ..
An installation problem is reported during the neo4j plugin install, specifically on OSX sierra and high sierra. It works well on el capitan.
See it there : https://github.com/exakat/exakat/issues/36
Or here :
[INFO] IndyInterface - Copying - [...snip...]exakat/tinkergraph/ext/neo4j-gremlin/plugin/neo4j-gremlin-3.2.6.jar
[INFO] DependencyGrabber$_copyTo_closure6 - Copying - [...snip...]exakat/tinkergraph/ext/neo4j-gremlin/plugin/gremlin-groovy-3.2.6.jar
[INFO] DependencyGrabber$_copyTo_closure6 - Copying - [...snip...]exakat/tinkergraph/ext/neo4j-gremlin/plugin/neo4j-tinkerpop-api-0.1.jar
Could not install the dependency: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error grabbing Grapes -- [download failed: org.neo4j#neo4j-cypher-compiler-2.2_2.11;2.2.6!neo4j-cypher-compiler-2.2_2.11.jar]
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error grabbing Grapes -- [download failed: org.neo4j#neo4j-cypher-compiler-2.2_2.11;2.2.6!neo4j-cypher-compiler-2.2_2.11.jar]

"Error grabbing Grapes" looks like some network error, but this has been persisting since mid-november.
I also thought it would be some version, but it does work on El capitan.
I thought it would be 3.2.5/6 version, but 3.3.0 has the same error.
Is there anything that I am missing to make this works ?
Best regards,
Damien Seguy.

Robert Dale

Dec 4, 2017, 2:17:49 PM12/4/17
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Can you do this and capture the output:

./bin/gremlin.sh  -l TRACE
:install org.apache.tinkerpop neo4j-gremlin 3.2.6

Robert Dale

Stephen Mallette

Dec 4, 2017, 3:50:01 PM12/4/17
to Gremlin-users
The log would be good as Robert requested. Just a hint though that this problem almost always has something to do with your ~/.groovy/grapeConfig.xml file:

Damien Seguy

Dec 5, 2017, 2:31:00 AM12/5/17
to Gremlin-users
Thank you two for helping. It's not the first time, but it's appreciated.

I'm getting the logs, as suggested by Robert.

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 9:50:01 PM UTC+1, Stephen Mallette wrote:
The log would be good as Robert requested. Just a hint though that this problem almost always has something to do with your ~/.groovy/grapeConfig.xml file:

Let me compare my file (which works) to the one that don't work. May be some entry is missing or could be updated.

Can I just remove it ?
Most people installing gremlin server are doing it for the first time (I guess even groovy or maven a new to them).
So this is quite a blank slate. I guess removing it will just make it come back, identical.

My initial guess was that some server was not up to date with the latest *.jar.
So I gave it a few days, but the problem is persistent.

Robert Dale

Harsh Thakkar

Dec 6, 2017, 9:17:00 AM12/6/17
to Gremlin-users
The same happened to me while installing the gremlin-spark 3.3.0 plugins. What I found out is that by deleting the files under ~/.groovy/grapes *and* ~/.m2/ folders solves the problem. Though I do not know the exact reason for this ;)

Execute the following commands:

$rm -r ~/.groovy/grapes/

followed by

$rm -r ~/.m2/

Then try to fresh install your plugins. It should do the job.

Cheers!
Harsh

Stephen Mallette

Dec 6, 2017, 9:28:14 AM12/6/17
to Gremlin-users
Grape is such a mystery

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gremlin-users/e34b292a-1c09-4940-9009-3670ab798ad2%40googlegroups.com.

Damien Seguy

Dec 6, 2017, 10:09:09 AM12/6/17
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Let me try that, then.

Damien.

Damien Seguy

Dec 13, 2017, 10:58:29 AM12/13/17
to Gremlin-users
I confirm grape was the culprit.

This one worked.
$rm -r ~/.groovy/grapes/

This one was never found by the users that reported problems. (it doesn't mean its wrong, so I keep it for future usage).
$rm -r ~/.m2/

Thanks a lot.

sai ram gopal B

Jan 6, 2018, 1:25:03 PM1/6/18
to Gremlin-users

It worked for me, when I removed '.groovy' folder.

Thanks,
Sai Ram