Starting a gremlin-server from another location

adpop

Jul 20, 2017, 5:37:35 AM7/20/17
to Gremlin-users
Hi there!
I have this weird behaviour. I have this

$ ls
gremlin-server

$  ./gremlin-server/bin/gremlin-server.sh ./gremlin-server/bin/config/gremlin-server-rest-modern.yaml
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (io.netty.util.internal.logging.InternalLoggerFactory).

However, if use the command "cd gremlin-server" first and then I write "./bin/gremlin-server.sh ./bin/config/gremlin-server-rest-modern.yaml", everything works fine. Why does the terminal current directory matters when I start the server? How can I acheive the same behavior even if I am one directory up in the hierarchy? Thanks!

Stephen Mallette

Jul 20, 2017, 6:20:31 AM7/20/17
to Gremlin-users
i'm not sure what happens with the paths when you don't start with bin/gremlin-server.sh but it obviously makes log4j mad because it can't find its configuration. Not sure what else will go bad if you try to run it outside of that directory. I guess you could try to hack the .sh here:

that might allow it to proceed to whatever the next problem might be. i don't know a general solution. perhaps those will better shell scripting skills than i could sort it out with a pull request.

adpop

Jul 20, 2017, 7:33:46 AM7/20/17
to Gremlin-users
The only solution I found was to create a bash script that runs the commands for me and to execute that script from my code. I guess it is ok for the moment. Thanks for your advice anyway!

Robert Dale

Jul 20, 2017, 7:46:19 AM7/20/17
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Just set your GREMLIN_HOME and then everything else can be relative to that.

Robert Dale

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 7:33 AM, adpop <popadr...@gmail.com> wrote:
The only solution I found was to create a bash script that runs the commands for me and to execute that script from my code. I guess it is ok for the moment. Thanks for your advice anyway!

Robert Dale

Jul 20, 2017, 7:50:30 AM7/20/17
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Wait, that script is not in 3.2.x, that's in master.  You could take the script from master. It will work in 3.2.5.

Robert Dale