gremlin-plugin for Neo4j 3.0.3 ?

Damien Seguy

Jul 11, 2016, 12:54:22 PM7/11/16
to Gremlin-users
Hi all,

I've been trying to compile the neo4j gremlin plugin at https://github.com/thinkaurelius/neo4j-gremlin-plugin for Gremlin 3.2.x and Neo4j 3.0.3 without success.

I changed some versions in the pom.xml (see comments https://github.com/thinkaurelius/neo4j-gremlin-plugin/issues/17) but
the neo4j server doesn't answer anything when sending a gremlin query.

Does anyone has an idea to make it works?
If not, what is the good way to run Gremlin 3 on neo4j nowadays ?

Thanks for your help.
Damien .

Stephen Mallette

Jul 11, 2016, 7:28:54 PM7/11/16
to Gremlin-users
I think Kuppitz will have to answer questions specific to the plugin....i don't know much about that one.

Obviously, you could host Neo4j in Gremlin Server and send your Gremlin to that.  Perhaps less obviously, you could run Gremlin Server in concert with other Neo4j servers as part of an HA cluster, that way existing applications using cypher could still work against Neo4j Server and anything you do with Gremlin could work against Gremlin Server. Kind of a neat configuration actually....

Robert Dale

Jul 12, 2016, 4:25:19 AM7/12/16
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
While we wait on Daniel for the official answer and direction, I
created a working branch at
https://github.com/robertdale/tinkerpop/tree/neo4j-3.0

All tests pass and also I manually verified the console with the
standalone plugin.

Damien, you can get this working by either
a) cloning my repo and building that branch, using the console
distribution from there, then following the normal plugin install
procedures. (:install org.apache.tinkerpop neo4j-gremlin
3.2.1-SNAPSHOT) or

b) manually copy the necessary dependencies as follows.
Go to console install directory
Remove existing ext/neo4j-gremlin/
Grab this zip https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwDrpILtaIMnV3V6RVI4V0RETDA/view?usp=sharing
unzip neo4j-gremlin_neo4j-3.0.3.zip
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gremlin-users/CAA-H43_%2Bv73V-SG0yDXHPg4XbO5i6ySQFj23OKOXsA56NvQSrA%40mail.gmail.com.

Robert Dale

Daniel Kuppitz

Jul 12, 2016, 4:53:38 AM7/12/16
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Damien,

If you really want to use the plugin, then Robert's version is probably your best bet. I won't be able to bump the version number in the Neo4j Gremlin Plugin, as long as TinkerPop still uses Neo4j 2.x dependencies.
Personally, if I would ever want to use Neo4j, I would most likely prefer to use it through Gremlin Server.

Cheers,
Daniel

Robert Dale

Jul 12, 2016, 5:05:24 AM7/12/16
to Gremlin-users
Right, and you can use the same procedure and zip for installing the dependencies on the server side.

Damien Seguy

Jul 12, 2016, 2:32:12 PM7/12/16
to Gremlin-users
HI Robert, Hi Daniel,

First, thanks for those solutions : that's great to get help and find new ways to test.

I tried the first option this afternoon. Compiling tinkerpop on OSX failed at Gremlin Driver,
so I got the neo4j-gremlin.jar. I moved it to neo4j 3.0.3 server, in the plugin directory,
and followed the install docs from https://github.com/thinkaurelius/neo4j-gremlin-plugin.

Then, I also moved the other jars that I use with neo4j 2.3.5 (except the neo4j-gremlin one) in the same folder, and it was fail again.

as for option 2) I get the feeling this apply to gremlin console, not to the gremlin plugin to use inside Neo4j, but I may be mistaken.

In the plugin repository, I changed several versions in the tinkerpop3/pom.xml file :
tinkerpop3/pom.xml : Changed the following versions, and using newest version from the Sonatype repository.
Is it the code from Neo4j 3 that doesn't support gremlin anymore?

Tinkerpop versions 3.2.0-incubating
neo4j-api-version 0.1
neo4j-api-impl-version 0.4-3.0.3

I also got the gremlin server/console, and started to learn about them a bit. I must admit I'm still clueless about them,
and this seems to be quite a foreign world to me. The docs has quite a lot of explainations, indeed, but I guess I need
something even lower level. Well, it will take time, but I'm really interested in being less dependent from the Neo4j/ gremlin plugin
architecture, that seems like a dead end.

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 4:53:38 AM UTC-4, Daniel Kuppitz wrote:
Hi Damien,

If you really want to use the plugin, then Robert's version is probably your best bet. I won't be able to bump the version number in the Neo4j Gremlin Plugin, as long as TinkerPop still uses Neo4j 2.x dependencies.
Personally, if I would ever want to use Neo4j, I would most likely prefer to use it through Gremlin Server.

Thanks for your patience and your help.

Cheers,
Daniel

Robert Dale

Jul 12, 2016, 2:52:18 PM7/12/16
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Right, I misunderstood your issue. Neither of the options I provided
are for neo4j server itself. One is for gremlin console and the other
for gremlin server. Either of which would host neo4j embedded. I can't
offer any guidance on hosting gremlin server from within neo4j server.
> --

Robert Dale

Amit Chandak

Feb 13, 2018, 8:51:29 PM2/13/18
to Gremlin-users
Hi Robert, the GitHub link is not working anymore? Do you have gremlin plugin for Neo4j 3.0??

Thanks
Amit

Robert Dale

Feb 16, 2018, 9:45:20 AM2/16/18
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
No, I never did have a plugin for Neo4j that allows Gremlin to be hosted from within in it.  What I posted was an update that allows you to run a different version of Neo4j from within Gremlin Server/Console.

Looks like there is the ability to execute Gremlin from Cypher - https://github.com/neo4j-contrib/neo4j-tinkerpop-api-impl/tree/3.3/procedures
You might be able to backport that to 3.0.

Robert Dale

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gremlin-users/3f1ef165-26f1-45bf-acdb-5a6437534e8d%40googlegroups.com.