rexpro-python / thunderdome looking for a new home

Blake Eggleston

Apr 18, 2014, 8:39:40 PM4/18/14
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Due to lack of time and focus on other projects, as well as shift.com moving off Titan, development on rexpro-python and thunderdome has stopped. Before making them officially 'dead', I wanted to see if anyone is interested in taking over development for them.

rexpro-python is the python rexpro driver. It doesn't need a lot of development work, there are a few open issues, but nothing too wild.

Thunderdome is is an "orm" for Titan, with a focus on vertices and edges as first class objects. It has a really cool / unique system for binding groovy functions to python methods, facilities for setting up property types, a legit logo, and the coolest name of any library ever :)

Hit me up if you're interested.

Thanks,

Blake

Cody Lee

Apr 19, 2014, 9:50:11 AM4/19/14
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Blake,
We have "sporked" thunderdome for an internal project at my company, WellAware. We have made a lot of improvements and bug fixes to the library and updated it for the latest stable version of Titan. We do intend to open source this, and we would be happy to take over the development process. We've renamed it internally to "Mogwai"(Cantonese for gremlin.) I personally would be willing to take the lead on both rexpro and Thunderdome (we'd rename it Mogwai) and continue to develop it for the new tinkerpop3 stack using websockets. Would you be willing to let us change the licensing to LGPLv3? Contact me personally for transferring ownership.

Cody Lee
github:platinummonkey

Stephen Mallette

Apr 19, 2014, 10:29:36 AM4/19/14
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Cody, thanks for offering to take over two important projects for the TinkerPop community.  It's good to know that they will have continued support in TinkerPop3.

Blake, thanks to you and shift.com for your support in the early days of RexPro development and for offering up the repos for someone else to maintain.

Stephen

Blake Eggleston

Apr 22, 2014, 12:19:40 AM4/22/14
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cody, thanks for offering to take over the projects. It's nice to know development will continue on them, and that people are finding them useful.

Stephen, I had a blast working with you on RexPro, and was happy to contribute.

jbm...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2014, 5:48:33 AM4/22/14
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cody - on a side note, there's already a JavaScript object-to-graph mapping library called Mogwai.js :P (https://github.com/gulthor/mogwaiWe sure all love these tiny monsters!

Cheers,

Jean-Baptiste

Stephen Mallette

Apr 22, 2014, 6:43:33 AM4/22/14
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
How about the original original "Mogwai" (I think) from James Thornton - https://github.com/espeed/mogwai

Borys Pierov

Apr 24, 2014, 5:13:23 AM4/24/14
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

It's great to see that RexPro/Thunderdome isn't dead!

Actually at the moment we're preparing to integrate Titan into our project and we've considered using Thudnerdome but we decided that although it's a pretty good library we'd rather go for RexPro.
In fact, there are several limitations within Thunderdome:
  • no transactions support since Rexster HTTP interface is used;
  • although HTTP interface is used not all of Gremlin extension features are supported (e.g. you cannot bind your gremlin method to some script that stored within Rexster server via load parameter);
  • although HTTP interface is used you cannot bind gremlin methods to your custom Rexster Extensions;
  • you need a new connection to send each query since HTTP interface is used.

While working on prototype we've forked Thudnerdome and upgraded it to support Titan 0.4.x (including spec files) and added trees deserialization (though we haven't fixed tests and etc still). I was thinking about finishing this work and making PR but since Cody Lee is taking over project and says that they already implemented all of this and greatly improved library then it seems that there are no sense in continuing work on our fork and we can hope the Mogwai will be made public soon.

As we decided to go for RexPro-Python we thinking about adding basic deserializtion logic to it, simplifying Gremlin code attachment to Python objects and making use of single connection - transaction, session-level caching etc. Though I'm still wondering why shif.com haven't used RexPro instead of HTTP for Thudnerdome?

Also I would like to ask why shift.com decided to move off Titan (of course, if it's not a secret)?

Best Regards,

Borys Pierov.

Stephen Mallette

Apr 24, 2014, 8:34:25 AM4/24/14
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
 Though I'm still wondering why shif.com haven't used RexPro instead of HTTP for Thudnerdome?

Blake can correct me if I'm wrong here, but RexPro was still young when he wrote rexpro-python.  In many ways the development of rexpro-python helped work-out trouble spots in the development of the RexPro format.  I think the idea was to switch over to it (and perhaps convert Thunderdome to use it), but by that point the decision to move away from graphs and Titan was already in the works.