Gremlin-server configuration questions for OrientDB

Ben Burnett

Mar 28, 2017, 5:43:43 AM3/28/17
to Gremlin-users
Hello all,
      New to TinkerPop and Graph databases in general, and trying to get a basic testbed setup.  I've been working through tutorials and manuals for TinkerPop, Gremlin and OrientDB and trying to get them installed and working together.

On an Ubuntu 16.04 system, I've installed:
    apache-tinkerpop-gremlin-console-3.2.4
    gremlin-server-3.0.0.M6
    orientdb-community-2.2.17

...I've used and played around with Gremlin-console (the TinkerPop one and the one that comes with OrientDB) and it works fine and the OrientDB web interface and it is fine and works.

I'm now trying to get gremlin-server setup but can't find any documentation to tell me how to configure it, or if there is some other package to install to get the OrientDB library or something.

I'm  using the Teva.Common.Data.Gremlin library/package to use within a C# development project to connect to Gremlin-Server then to the OrientDb and potentially other Databases through the common Gremlin-server interface.

Does anyone know how to configure gremlin-server for OrientDB? or a link to some configuration help?

Thanks,
--Ben

HadoopMarc

Mar 28, 2017, 4:18:51 PM3/28/17
to Gremlin-users
Hi Ben,

I do not know OrientDB but I would expect the gremlin server config to be analogous to those of other storage backends, see e.g.:

https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/blob/ec441ac6d87f3359c9740075786ec6de3651745e/janusgraph-dist/src/assembly/static/conf/gremlin-server/gremlin-server.yaml

For the gremlin console connection you already know the relevant items for the properties file. And of course you will need an OrientGraphFactory.

Also be careful in mixing versions, I would give gremlin console 3.0 a try first, when you are tied to gremlin-server 3.0.

Cheers,    Marc

Ben Burnett

Mar 28, 2017, 4:50:11 PM3/28/17
to Gremlin-users
Thanks.

Do you know if there is a list someplace of valid/correct names of "graphs" and "plugins" to use in the config file?

graphs: {
    graph: conf/gremlin-server/janusgraph-cassandra-es-server.properties
}
plugins:
     - janusgraph.imports

Thanks,
-Ben

HadoopMarc

Mar 29, 2017, 2:34:52 AM3/29/17
to Gremlin-users
Hi Ben,

You have to prepare a properties file for your OrientGraph yourself. I expect  those to contain similar properties as when connecting directly from the console.

The plugin would have to be something OrientGraph specific, but I do not know whether it exists. Out of the box Tinkerpop plugins are described in the Tinkerpop ref docs:

Stephen Mallette

Mar 29, 2017, 10:38:47 AM3/29/17
to Gremlin-users
I don't know if OrientDB implemented the plugin system or not. It doesn't really matter though. You just need to install Gremlin Server 3.2.3 which matches the version currently supported by the latest version of orientdb-gremlin:

Then place orientdb-gremlin (and dependencies) on the Gremlin Server path. You can do that manually by making a directory at /ext/orientdb and copying the jars there or you can do something like:

bin/gremlin-server.sh -i com.michaelpollmeier orientdb-gremlin 3.2.3.0

From there you should be able to add an OrientDB configuration file to the Gremlin Server YAML file to create OrientDB Graph instances (a "graphs" entry). That properties file should have the following line at a minimum:

gremlin.graph=org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.orientdb.OrientGraph

Additional configuration options don't appear to be documented (but I may be missing them somewhere in OrientDB docs) but they are in the code itself:

I think that's pretty much it. Would be nice to see additional docs on the oriendb-gremlin page on this kind of usage as well as the maven coordinates. Perhaps you could offer a pull request to them if you managed to confirm everything as working.

Carlos Cheung

Mar 29, 2017, 3:39:18 PM3/29/17
to Gremlin-users
Just chiming in to confirm that this is working. My properties file looks something like this:
gremlin.graph=org.apache.tinkerpop.gremlin.orientdb.OrientGraph
orient-url=remote:localhost/test-db
orient-user=root
orient-pass=password

I do need to manually create the database before hand on the OrientDB side, however it seems that this plugin might be able to create it given from the available configuration options? I haven't dug too much into it yet, but I have been able to create vertices and edges using this plugin.

aba...@galaxiasol.com

Jun 19, 2018, 10:39:41 AM6/19/18
to Gremlin-users
Hi @Stephen Mallette
why do we need of these jar files
bin/gremlin-server.sh -i com.michaelpollmeier orientdb-gremlin 3.2.3.0
and how do i download the jar files for this version "orientdb-community-importers-2.2.31"  or 3.0.2

Stephen Mallette

Jun 19, 2018, 10:41:43 AM6/19/18
to Gremlin-users
I just answered a question about OrientDB and dependencies here:

perhaps it will help, but basically, i think you want:

bin/gremlin-server.sh -i com.orientechnologies orientdb-gremlin-server 3.0.2