[BLOG POST] The Von Gremlin Architecture

Marko Rodriguez

Aug 15, 2017, 10:56:51 AM8/15/17
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

After Stephen’s "Gremlin DSLs in Java with DSE Graph" main event, I hope you stick around for the after party.

The Von Gremlin Architecture

In this article, I do the following:

1. Present graphs as a universal data structure (a universal memory system).
2. Present Gremlin as a universal traversal machine (a universal computer).
3. Present MongoDB-Gremlin as a proof-of-concept along with SQL-Gremlin and SPARQL-Gremlin.

Enjoy!,
Marko.

Harsh Thakkar

Aug 18, 2017, 7:01:35 AM8/18/17
to Gremlin-users
Hi Marko,

Thanks for the update.  Could you elaborate more on the SPARQL-Gremlin implementation provided the with MongoDB-Gremlin work?
Is the same version as developed by Daniel?

I think we also add a newer version support many more features which I worked on (extending Daniels' work) available at: https://github.com/LITMUS-Benchmark-Suite/sparql-to-gremlin
What do you think?

Thanks and Cheers for sharing amazing stuff!

Marko Rodriguez

Aug 18, 2017, 11:47:27 AM8/18/17
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thanks for the update.  Could you elaborate more on the SPARQL-Gremlin implementation provided the with MongoDB-Gremlin work?

The MongoDB-Gremlin work does not provide SPARQL-Gremlin. I just reference Kuppitz’s SPARQL-Gremlin repository as its an example of “multi-model with graph.” Note that I’m not promoting any particular XXX-Gremlin as even the MongoDB-Gremlin is just a slap dab POC. The point of the blog post is to say — “graphs are universal enough to encode any other data structure and Gremlin is universal enough to simulate any other query language. And here are examples of popular database models being simulated by graph and Gremlin."

Is the same version as developed by Daniel?

I think we also add a newer version support many more features which I worked on (extending Daniels' work) available at: https://github.com/LITMUS-Benchmark-Suite/sparql-to-gremlin
What do you think?

Ah. I was unaware of this repository. I updated the post with the new link and added that you and Kuppitz were the authors of SPARQL-Gremlin.

Take care,
Marko.

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 16:56:51 UTC+2, Marko A. Rodriguez wrote:
Hello,

After Stephen’s "Gremlin DSLs in Java with DSE Graph" main event, I hope you stick around for the after party.

The Von Gremlin Architecture

In this article, I do the following:

1. Present graphs as a universal data structure (a universal memory system).
2. Present Gremlin as a universal traversal machine (a universal computer).
3. Present MongoDB-Gremlin as a proof-of-concept along with SQL-Gremlin and SPARQL-Gremlin.

Enjoy!,
Marko.

Harsh Thakkar

Aug 19, 2017, 4:54:26 AM8/19/17
to Gremlin-users

On Friday, 18 August 2017 17:47:27 UTC+2, Marko A. Rodriguez wrote:
Hello,

The MongoDB-Gremlin work does not provide SPARQL-Gremlin. I just reference Kuppitz’s SPARQL-Gremlin repository as its an example of “multi-model with graph.” Note that I’m not promoting any particular XXX-Gremlin as even the MongoDB-Gremlin is just a slap dab POC. The point of the blog post is to say — “graphs are universal enough to encode any other data structure and Gremlin is universal enough to simulate any other query language. And here are examples of popular database models being simulated by graph and Gremlin."

Yes right, I am very glad that you took the initiate for MongoDB-Gremlin work. I could not use it to also include MongoDB in my benchmarking framework together with DSE Graph (as we discussed at Graph Day 2017, SF earlier this year).

Ah. I was unaware of this repository. I updated the post with the new link and added that you and Kuppitz were the authors of SPARQL-Gremlin.

That is very generous of you! Much appreciated!

Take care,
Marko.
Cheers,
Harsh