HTTP 500 sending graph to tinkerpop.gephi

John Spong

Sep 12, 2017, 7:52:30 PM9/12/17
to Gremlin-users
Hi,

I am trying to visualize a graph imported into the gremlin console to gephi, and getting a 500-error after a few round-trips.

I cannot share the source of the graph, but it seems consistent (2 nodes w/ edges [i.e., first edge fails], or 43 nodes w/o edges [i.e., g.E().drop() before :> graph], so I suspect some sort of data value is causing the server to reject the request (e.g., invalid characters?).

Some questions:

1. Is there a way to allow retries/error-skipping and/or get debugging output from the client?
2. Are there known tinkerpop.gephi issues regarding graph data?
3. Probably not the place to ask, but does anyone know how to get debug info from gephi?

Thanks!
John Spong

Stephen Mallette

Sep 13, 2017, 6:45:20 AM9/13/17
to Gremlin-users
1. Is there a way to allow retries/error-skipping and/or get debugging output from the client?

There is no way to do that, but perhaps it would be helpful. If you feel like creating a JIRA it could be considered:

If you feel like offering a PR of any sort in relation to any of this, it's actually a really easy thing to dig into as all operations for Gephi are pretty much in a single class:

You can see here:

that we trap http errors and report the 500 and reason, but not much more. I'm not sure how much more gephi provides. Anyway, that's likely where you would institute some form of retry or ignore (preferrably controlled by some kind of user configuration which would be handled here:

2. Are there known tinkerpop.gephi issues regarding graph data?

I can't think of any off the top of my head.

 > 3. Probably not the place to ask, but does anyone know how to get debug info from gephi?

I'm not sure if there is additional logging you can turn on but note that your

USER_HOME/.gephi/VERSION/dev/var/log

has some log files in it. Not sure if those will be of any use.  I hope some of this helps you resolve the problem.

Take care,

Stephen

John Spong

Sep 13, 2017, 3:11:24 PM9/13/17
to Gremlin-users
Thank you so much, Stephen!

Looking at the logs in ~/.gephi was super helpful. Turns out that gephi can parse named colors when importing a .graphml file, but the Streaming Graph plugin dies after an exception from parseInt(). Updating the colors to their base-10 integer values did the trick!

- John
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gremlin-user...@googlegroups.com.