Gremlin Recipes

Stephen Mallette

May 23, 2016, 8:02:09 AM5/23/16
to Gremlin-users, d...@tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org
Hello all,

If you've been on the gremlin-users list for a while, you'll know that there are some really good, high-quality answers to questions. Unfortunately, the knowledge that they impart is often lost in long threads and the endless archives of google groups. If you read enough of the kinds of questions that are answered, patterns definitely emerge and the same questions are just answered over and over in different ways.

We noticed that in TinkerPop 2.x and with GremlinDocs.com we had a "recipes" section that had common Gremlin traversal patterns discussed in it. We now have something similar in TinkerPop 3.x - Gremlin Recipes:

I personally still have a fairly long list of links to "good answers" from the mailing list, that I intend to translate into "recipes" over time, but we have a good start for now. If someone (Kuppitz) feeds you a good answer on the mailing list, a nice "thank you" would be to write up a recipe based on your question and submit it as a PR. Notes for how to do that are at the bottom of the recipes page.

I think recipes are going to be a great resource for developers who are trying to learn more about complex traversal patterns.

Bon appétit

Chef Stephen

Inline image 1

Mathias Bogaert

May 24, 2016, 8:17:38 AM5/24/16
to Gremlin-users, d...@tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org
Awesome, thanks Stephen!

Mark Henderson

May 24, 2016, 10:53:20 AM5/24/16
to Gremlin-users, d...@tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org
Awesome stuff! Thanks for putting this together so fast. I can see this being a place to discover little Gremlin secrets like 'orElseGet{...}' (things that aren't in the official documentation).

Is there a particular type of recipe that should be submitted? I ask because people could cover very simple concepts (check if edge exists), to moderate ones(close the triad), to complex ones (aggregates based on logic and groupings, etc).

Stephen Mallette

May 24, 2016, 11:11:30 AM5/24/16
to Gremlin-users, d...@tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org
I think we should try to "group" as best we can or else it will be hard for people to find things. I guess the groups will evolve to a certain degree as we go. I think my preference would be to seem groups as big themes or wide patterns as opposed to smaller groups with more specific and individual intent. Such things can be discussed when a recipe is submitted.