Streaming plugin gephi with gremlin (Neo4j plugin)

Amit Chandak

Feb 19, 2018, 11:53:48 AM2/19/18
to Gremlin-users
Hi,
      I have gremlin server docker (with neo4j plugin) and i want to visualize it using gephi streaming plugin. I am unable to find a good documentation on how to achieve this. What i saw on tinker pop documentation is this http://tinkerpop.apache.org/docs/current/reference/#gephi-plugin. This is mostly around streaming using gremlin-console. I am looking for a way to configure gephi to either pick up data from gremlin server or configure gremlin server to send data to gephi streaming server. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
amit

Stephen Mallette

Feb 20, 2018, 2:43:58 PM2/20/18
to Gremlin-users
The gephi integration in tinkerpop is built to work exclusively with the Gremlin Console. I think you would have to build something custom into Gremlin Server to make something like that happen. If you want some tips on how you might do that, I think I'd need more information on what you are trying to achieve. Gephi is an analysis tool so I'm not clear why you would have a "server" send data to that tool for visualization. I guess, I don't understand the use case exactly.

Amit Chandak

Feb 20, 2018, 11:28:13 PM2/20/18
to Gremlin-users
Thanks a lot for the info, Stephen. The use case is simple: As the graphdb gets updated, the visualization shows that update. Streaming seems to be a good choice for that.
Does gremlin server provide an interface via which we can get streaming graphdb updates??? I know it provides a web socket interface, through which i am running my gremlin queries.

Amit

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Amit Chandak <amit.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
      I have gremlin server docker (with neo4j plugin) and i want to visualize it using gephi streaming plugin. I am unable to find a good documentation on how to achieve this. What i saw on tinker pop documentation is this http://tinkerpop.apache.org/docs/current/reference/#gephi-plugin. This is mostly around streaming using gremlin-console. I am looking for a way to configure gephi to either pick up data from gremlin server or configure gremlin server to send data to gephi streaming server. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
amit

Stephen Mallette

Feb 21, 2018, 6:53:21 AM2/21/18
to Gremlin-users
Gremlin Server doesn't have knowledge of when the graph changes so it wouldn't be able to know when to send updates to gephi. I suppose you could rig your graph traversal source with EventStrategy and then try to use the graph events from there to send updates to Gephi. That might work.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gremlin-users/64fb867b-31b6-43d3-986e-c437f5c9b932%40googlegroups.com.