[TinkerPop3] Gremlin Console -- void method and null singletons.

Marko Rodriguez

Feb 20, 2015, 11:33:15 AM2/20/15
to gremli...@googlegroups.com, d...@tinkerpop.incubator.apache.org
Hello,

Over the years, I've seen lots of people complain about the return of "null" for void methods. For instance:

gremlin> aVoidMethod()
==>null
gremlin> null
==>null
gremlin> [1,2,null,4]
==>1
==>2
==>null
==>4

I was thinking that we could change the behavior of the Gremlin Console such that a single null is:

gremlin> aVoidMethod()
gremlin> null
gremlin> [1,2,null,4]
==>1
==>2
==>null
==>4

There are mixed feelings from the developers so I thought we could ask the community. The strongest case for keeping "==>null" is from Daniel Kuppitz who realized that it looks like a compilation error -- multi-line queries return "empty" like that. Perhaps we can figure out a way to have multi-line statements do…..?:

gremlin> g.V.
         outE.
         values('weight')

instead of the current:

gremlin> g.V.
gremlin> outE.
gremlin> values('weight')

Thoughts?,
Marko.

Derek Williams

Feb 20, 2015, 12:20:44 PM2/20/15
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Upvote for multiline idea, but could be a pain to implement

Derek Williams
Cell: 970.214.8928