GM Causing Hanging/Crashing in Firefox 38.0.5

grace6942

Jun 16, 2015, 8:28:00 PM6/16/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Hoping someone will be willing and able to help me as Greasemonkey is integral to my daily work (and for that I thank its developers wholeheartedly!).

Issue: After updating to Firefox 38.0.5 AND Shockwave Flash 18.0.0.160, I started noticing frequent hangs and crashes particularly when I was viewing video or visiting sites with heavily embedded video content.  Today this interfered so much with my ability to work productively I started researching to find solutions.

Technical Details:
Windows XP (sadly) with SP3
FF version aforementioned
Flash version aforementioned
Greasemonkey version 3.2

User scripts/GM extensions installed at time of issue:
Turkopticon 3.41.1

HIT Scraper WITH EXPORT

Highlight Unhighlightable Text (CrowdSource)
MTurk HIT DataBase
**No other plugins or extensions enabled.

Instances of issue:

Various surveys hosted by Qualtrics (many with embedded video, but many others without)
Virtually any page with video, Flash and YouTube included, especially with embedded videos
Even general browsing was much slower than normal

Steps taken to resolve:
1. Checked for updates to Firefox and Flash (none).
2. Disabled all aforementioned GM extensions (issue persisted).
3. Disabled Flash along with all aforementioned user scripts (issue persisted).
4. Kept GM extensions disabled and selected "Ask to Allow" under Flash options (persisted).
5. Changed about:config to block images from sites (persisted).
6. Updated Malwarebytes database and ran a threat scan.
7. Quarantined 4 PUP.optional.conduittb.gen instances & assumed this would resolve the issue.
8. Left all GM extensions and Flash disabled and attempted to browse as normal (persisted).  Enabled Flash and browsed as normal (persisted).
9. Googled "Firefox slow in 38.0.05" and clicked on a recent Mozillazine thread that indicated Greasemonkey itself might cause significant memory leaks.
10. Googled "Greasemonkey memory leak Firefox" and clicked on a recent Reddit post detailing the same issue.
11. Finally disabled Greasemonkey and Turkopticon plugins and issue was immediately resolved.  No hanging, no crashing, back to working smoothly.  Enabled Flash and tested on sites with Flash embedded; also went directly to YouTube and watched videos with absolutely no issue.

I don't think it's an extension considering issue persisted when those were disabled.  Process of elimination shows the root of the problem is either Greasemonkey itself or the Turkopticon plugin.  Evidence from Mozillazine and Reddit indicate similar issues when Turkopticon was not in use.  Hoping to get feedback before reinstalling Greasemonkey without Turkopticon in case this is a known and fixable issue.

My questions are these:
First, does anyone have any suggestions?
Second, is this perhaps a Javascript issue?  I am not using a Javascript plugin and have Java disabled.
Third, if it is or might be related to Java and/or Javascript, what can I do to resolve it?

Thank you so much for your time and any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I don't know what I would do without Greasemonkey and again I am so grateful to its developers!!

grace6942

Jun 16, 2015, 9:45:44 PM6/16/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Update: Just reinstalled Turkopticon plugin without Greasemonkey and experiencing absolutely no problems.  Issue points directly to GM in combination w/FF version.

Anthony Lieuallen

Jun 17, 2015, 9:08:59 AM6/17/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com

grace6942

Jun 24, 2015, 12:58:24 AM6/24/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 9:08:59 AM UTC-4, Anthony Lieuallen wrote:

Thank you for your reply, Anthony. I understand the conditions must be tested but I already stated exactly and precisely what extensions and plugins I was using and none of them pertain to what is being tested right now.  It is a problem with GM 3.2 and FF 38.0.5, period.  It usually rears its ugly head when presented with video (does not matter whether it's Flash or YouTube or anything else).  Also occurs when overloaded with Javascript anything.

Is this going to be fixed or should I revert to a different version or what?

Kodie Williams

Jun 24, 2015, 2:30:29 PM6/24/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, 24 June 2015 05:58:24 UTC+1, grace6942 wrote

Thank you for your reply, Anthony. I understand the conditions must be tested but I already stated exactly and precisely what extensions and plugins I was using and none of them pertain to what is being tested right now.  It is a problem with GM 3.2 and FF 38.0.5, period.  It usually rears its ugly head when presented with video (does not matter whether it's Flash or YouTube or anything else).  Also occurs when overloaded with Javascript anything.

Is this going to be fixed or should I revert to a different version or what?

 I doubt it, I don't think the devs haven't even acknowledged this firefox-breaking bug exists yet.

Jessica Kevan

Jun 24, 2015, 11:38:11 PM6/24/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Argh!  So should I revert to a different version?  What can I do?

Thanks, Kodie.

Tiago Afonso

Jul 2, 2015, 6:58:59 AM7/2/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
It's a memory leak issue. You have to wait for someone to correct the addon.

In the newer firefox versions I have problems with grease monkey, specially with sites using flash. I open for example tabs with videos, and when I close them, the consumed amount of memory doesn't decrease. After disabling the addon, the amount of memory decreases as before.

The problem is reported here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=14214425&sid=2475f10eeef00932f444b25cf92c82e1#p14214425
and here:
https://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/2200#issuecomment-112619491

Can someone investigate the problem and update the addon to work correctly with the newer firefox versions?

thanks