Any news in regards to using external editors?

Stephan Hradek

Mar 27, 2018, 7:50:33 AM3/27/18
to greasemonkey-users
Hi!

My son proudly told me that he "hacked a web site". In fact he just changed the HTML using FireFox's web developer tools. But since he was so proud, I told him that there is greasemonkey which he could use to make all these changes he did automatically each time the page loads.

Some time later he came to me and asked me to show him how to use greasemonkey.

Now while the editor in greasemonkey is quite good, he also is member of the teckkids e.V. https://www.teckids.org and so he already knows (a bit) about git and also was asked by his friends whether he could put his script into their git.

Unfortunately this is a tedious copy & paste job where you edit your greasemonkey script ein an editor which can save to the filesystem and then copy it over into the greasemonkey editor or the other way around.

It has to be a bit more efficient, don't you think?

So are there any news in regards to using an external editor?

Тимур Тимурович

Apr 1, 2018, 7:40:16 AM4/1/18
to greasemonkey-users
Consider to use Violentmonkey instead of Greasemonkey. The idea is simple - you just start a local HTTP server for your script folder. Note the Hard way in this link https://violentmonkey.github.io/2017/03/14/How-to-edit-scripts-with-your-favorite-editor/ . However there is some trouble. If you don't save your script often then the proposed python http.server will increase update time and you will have to clear browser's cache to force update of your script in Violentmonkey.

Note I don't know if Greasemonkey has a similar feature.