Re: [greasemonkey-users] Digest for greasemonkey-users@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

LWChris

Feb 16, 2018, 6:13:01 AM2/16/18
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com

How can it NOT be a Firefox issue if the API doesn't provide a way to start an external program for security reasons?

If you are a painter and your customer wants the wall to be painted red, but the only paint shop in the world (i. e. the one you are dependent on) sells only green and blue paint atm - can you do what your customer asked you to? No.
But you're that customer now who says "funny how it is always the paint shop's fault if you can't paint a wall red". C'mon, be fair! If some functionality is simply unavailable in the API, there's not much developers can do.

Show me just one web extension add-on that has any feature to save a file to your file system and then open that file with a pre-selectable application but not the default one.
If we have that, we can restore the external editor functionality. But I'm pretty sure you won't find such an add-on - because there is currently no API method allowing an extension to tell Firefox to do that.

Chris

Am 10.02.2018 um 14:57 schrieb greasemon...@googlegroups.com:
Andre Bernardo <aluiz...@gmail.com>: Feb 09 09:47AM -0800

Funny how every time something doesn't work as expected it's always Firefox
devs' fault. GM used to be an amazing addon but I'm afraid that if GM devs
don't start being more open about these issues they'll soon have no
userbase left. Blaming Firefox and locking bug reports for no good reason
won't help. Sadly most of the people I know has already moved on to other
solutions that still work despite the recent Firefox updates.