Where are my scripts

Dan P

Dec 1, 2017, 4:13:20 PM12/1/17
to greasemonkey-users
OK so after a FireFox update I no longer have an easy way to find where my custom scripts are located.  When I click the Greasemonkey icon and click my script name, then click edit, it opens in a FF tab instead of an editor and I can't figure out what the path is to the script.

Anthony Lieuallen

Dec 1, 2017, 5:03:27 PM12/1/17
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
There is none.  WebExtensions do not have file system access.

Dan P

Dec 1, 2017, 5:27:57 PM12/1/17
to greasemonkey-users
So how do I update them?

Jakub Mareda

Dec 15, 2017, 9:43:48 PM12/15/17
to greasemonkey-users
Even more importantly, how the hell do I back them up and move to different computer. Or was it decided that it's not an useful feature to have access to the scripts?

brunoais

Dec 16, 2017, 6:47:05 AM12/16/17
to greasemonkey-users
Ask mozilla about that. They are the ones who decided that, not the greasemonkey devs.

Jakub Mareda

Dec 16, 2017, 10:05:25 AM12/16/17
to greasemonkey-users
Mozzila ain't got nothing to do with that. Tampermonkey in Firefox has simply button to save the script as file.

brunoais

Dec 16, 2017, 1:50:45 PM12/16/17
to greasemonkey-users
Do you mean downloading the scripts for backup purposes?

Vivek Das Mohapatra

Mar 11, 2018, 9:18:52 PM3/11/18
to greasemonkey-users
They're stored in an sqlite database: extensions.json has the id of the extension, and the path to the sqlite database is something like:

"/home/USERANAME/.mozilla/firefox/PROFILE-ID.default/storage/default/moz-extension+++210603c8-7803-408e-a983-066a8d0a43fb^addonId=%7B13fc6545-ada2-42bb-9faf-98940d531666%7D/idb/61413404gyreekansoem.sqlite"

The userscript is wrapped in a json-style wrapper (the format is binary, not actual json) together with all its metadata. If the script contains non-ascii characters it is actually stored as utf-16 (or maybe UCS-2) bytes. This binary-json-ish lump is then compressed with snappy and stored as a binary blob of data in the sqlite database.

(This is true in firefox 52 or so, I've not looked at 57).

Anthony Lieuallen

Mar 11, 2018, 11:05:10 PM3/11/18
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
This is barely true at best.  The best answer is that they're not stored in a way that you can expect to access.  You might want to watch https://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/2747

Dream Dancer

Mar 18, 2018, 5:35:50 PM3/18/18
to greasemonkey-users
Not just backing up, but modifying, adjusting, renaming, moving / transferring, in general, having access to my data without a third party holding it hostage.

brunoais

Mar 19, 2018, 9:14:45 AM3/19/18
to greasemonkey-users
It's not that they don't want to give this to users, it's that but they don't know how to make good UX with the new restrictions.

I've been following the discussions and they are working on adapting to the new restrictions.
Users just want it to work but devs need to know how to make it work.

So far, they have been hitting onto the platform's limitations but an alternative that seems to work is now nearly complete.
Using external editors properly is still being a pain, though.

Dream Dancer

Mar 20, 2018, 6:56:01 PM3/20/18
to greasemonkey-users
So, officially, this is yet another mozilla puck-up.