Re: [greasemonkey-users] greasemonkey memory leak

Anthony Lieuallen

Jul 2, 2015, 9:57:36 AM7/2/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
(Much) more detail would be helpful.  Exact Firefox version, all extensions and all user scripts installed.  And perhaps more specific than "sites using flash"?

(But also: all my testing and other users' data now suggests that GM is not actually at fault.)

Kodie Williams

Jul 6, 2015, 2:16:21 PM7/6/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad to hear you've already dismissed a massive problem that many of your users have complained about consistently across multiple sites and communities for a long time, very reassuring.

Flash shouldn't be an issue, I have click to run enabled and the bug is still present. The bug appears after a couple minutes of browsing and is hard to replicate, but when it happens, every couple minutes the entire browser will hang for 2-4 seconds, usually as I'm scrolling or changing tab, it could happen at other points, but it's hard to tell.

I'm on Firefox 39.0 right now, but the bug has been consistent through multiple previous versions. Every time I update, I re-enable greasemonkey to see if it doesn't make my browser unusable, but every time it does.

Running Greasemonkey 3.2 with 4chan X 1.11.2.4, Google Hit Hider by Domain (Search Filter / Block Sites) 1.6.5, Remove Google Redirection 1.1.0, but the bug still seems to be present with them all disabled, and greasemonkey itself disabled (through the icon, not firefox's addon manager). It could be that the bug remains persistent once it's triggered, so I'll keep greasemonkey enabled for a bit, with all scripts disabled and see if the bug presents itself again, in which case I'll alert you.

The method I used to find the problematic extension that was ruining my browsing experience was to disable all extensions and re-enable one by one, each time opening up a couple twitter tabs and such until the memory usage increased and waited for the delay. Since the bug is a bit temperamental, this drove me absolute bonkers, but as I discovered it was Greasemonkey, I have been able to pretty consistently reproduce it by leaving Greasemonkey enabled and just browsing for about 5 minutes, at which point the horrible lag spikes begin again. I have never experienced these lag spikes with Greasemonkey disabled, and they are very obvious when they happen, at least on my machine.

Additionally I discovered with about:memory that, with Greasemonkey enabled, it would consistently leave ghost-windows behind until Firefox was closed, including windows opened in Private mode, which is a massive security hole right there. With Greasemonkey disabled, there are little to no ghost-windows after opening up a couple tabs and such, memory usage is usually halved.

Kodie Williams

Jul 6, 2015, 2:21:33 PM7/6/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Additional Firefox addons shouldn't matter, since even with them all disabled the bug is still present. Just in case, here are a list of mine:
Back to Close
Bookmark Tab
British English Dictionary
Copy as Plain Text
FB Purity
FoxyProxy Standard
Google Search by Image
Google Translator
Greasemonkey
Pocket
Reddit Enhancement Suite
SomethingAwful Last Read Enhancement
Stylish
uBlock Origin
User Style Manager
Youtube Center Dev Build 527

I would test it out on a fresh profile, but I have so much work to do it's unreal, and this really isn't a great use of my time.