Greasemonkey seems to break CNN.com

Jim Byrnes

Jul 27, 2015, 8:33:28 PM7/27/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to stop CNN from popping up it's terms of service so I wrote
the following script.

// ==UserScript==
// @name cnn terms of service
// @namespace localhost
// @description Remove CNN terms of service notice
// @include http://www.cnn.com/*
// @include http://cnn.com/*
// @require
https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.3/jquery.min.js
// ==/UserScript==

$(document).ready( function() {
$('.user-msg').remove();
});

It works but if it is used on a page that has a picture or video at the
top of the page and underneath it is a horizontal slideshow, the
elements of the slideshow will rearrange themselves vertically down the
page.

As I was trying figure this out I found that even if I commented out the
entire body of the script the slideshow would be rearranged vertically.

Does anyone have any idea of what is causing this?

Thanks, Jim

Anthony Lieuallen

Jul 27, 2015, 9:32:57 PM7/27/15
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com

Jim Byrnes

Jul 27, 2015, 10:09:22 PM7/27/15
On 07/27/2015 08:32 PM, Anthony Lieuallen wrote:
> http://wiki.greasespot.net/Third-Party_Libraries#Potential_conflict ?

That fixed the problem, thank you Anthony. I haven't used Greasemonkey
for some time so I am sure there is more info on that site I should review.

Regards, Jim