Real-time video monitoring ("counter-surveillance") of polluters?

Jeffrey Warren

May 16, 2017, 4:48:23 PM5/16/17
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality
Hi, folks --

Cheryl posted a question recently related to her work with Fair Tech Collective -- what's the best way to do real-time video monitoring of a polluter, like a refinery?

I know i've seen some work posted here, about cameras that can send timelapse images by cell network: https://publiclab.org/notes/LauraChipley/09-18-2015/hacking-trail-cameras-to-document-blasts-on-mountaintop-removal-sites

But I've also heard of projects where folks have just set up webcams to do "counter-surveillance" in neighborhoods, or for other reasons.

Do people on this list have links or projects they could share?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
Jeff

Jeffrey Warren

May 16, 2017, 6:47:34 PM5/16/17
to xoseq...@tutanota.de, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality
Wow, fantastic! Thanks!

Love the screenshots:

Inline image 1

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 6:33 PM, <xoseq...@tutanota.de> wrote:
I'm AWK, on Thursday I'll post what I got but in short: for the single board computers like the different PI (not all but yes, all the raspberry) there's MotionEYEOS, basically the Motion software + the motionEYE GUI, all packed in a iso image. After burning the SD you plug the pi to your router and access the ip assigned to the pi and there you are. A dashboard with slider controllers for sensitivity of the cameras, the Motion detection, Wi-Fi connection, automatic cloud storage, mail alerts... Every camera you plug appears in your control dashboard. I think is basically thought for a home surveillance system but attaching some long range lenses to the pi and a battery pack can be very funny. Also some cantenas or a close friendly house... We have to work on this as the possibilities are infinite and actual trail cameras are delusive our incredibly expensive.

Go to sleep, it's late over here.

--
xose quiroga
0034 636 328 335

www.voizes.org

www.imvec.tech

www.lavisionaria.com

www.xosequiroga.com

PGP download

16. May 2017 22:48 by je...@publiclab.org:

--
Post to this group at plots-airquality@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-airquality" group.

Post to this group at plots-airquality@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-airquality" group.

xoseq...@tutanota.de

May 16, 2017, 6:49:14 PM5/16/17
to Jeffrey Warren, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality
[...]

Post to this group at plots-ai...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-airquality" group.

xoseq...@tutanota.de

May 26, 2017, 3:28:55 PM5/26/17
to The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, plots-ai...@googlegroups.com
Hi ther!
Have you tried MotionEYEos for single board computers?
https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos
https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/wiki/Installation

MotionEYE (motion + GUI) can be installed in Debian for example
https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneye/wiki/Install-On-Debian

best
26. May 2017 19:09 by pan...@void.io:

On Sunday, 21 May 2017 14:13:06 UTC+1, Nigel Cartmell wrote:
Hi All,
Rather than hacking trail cameras, or using expensive DSLRs in the woods, has anyone worked with Raspberry-Pi3 and NoIR v2 camera.
I'm currently prototyping an RPi camera for nature and home security.

If anyone can find a programmer with Python experience I will 3d model the case and send .stl files.
I have a 3d printer at home.
My experience with mining companies [open cast mines] is dust isn't just caused by explosions: Wind blown dust will be missed by sound activated cameras. Time-lapse may be the better option. We've done tests at 1 frame per second.

Any takers,
Nigel Cartmell

Hello,

We've been working with custom Pi-based cameras for our interactive art installations for some of years now:

http://diy.artivis.net

and we keep everything we've developed so far in this git repo:

https://gitlab.com/artivis/artivis-diy-kit

it's mostly documentation and a small streaming server written in Lua with gstreamer bindings. It has been very useful for our work, but sadly I haven't had much time to work on it lately.

If someone wants to pick this up, it should be pretty easy to port to Python and I would be happy to help out.

Cheers,
P.