Re: [plots-nyc] April 12th - mapping on Newtown Creek

Liz Barry

Apr 9, 2015, 3:28:12 PM4/9/15
to willis elkins, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, plot...@googlegroups.com, Bronwen Densmore, Eymund Diegel, Nicholas Johnson
interesting.
i usually put about 65 cu ft in a balloon, which would mean you can rent the small size tank (picture linked here http://publiclab.org/wiki/balloon-mapping-materials) and be fine for one flight. that's cool that some people are getting two flights out of a small 80cuft tank. It would help if you get a valve with a gauge but normally those aren't provided.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 12:13 PM, willis elkins <timothywi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Thanks Liz.
I also wanted to double check on how much helium we should get. The publiclab website says 80cu' for 2 flights, but if we are only doing an hour or so of flying, would 40cu' be enough?

Thanks again for everyone's guidance.

Best,
Willis

On Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:34 AM, Liz Barry <l...@publiclab.org> wrote:

Great, so this is coming up on Sunday!
We are in need of an experienced mapper to join, because Nick has some potentially exciting family arrivals queued up. Bronwen, Eymund, others -- how is your Sunday looking?

Also thanks for arranging the equipment handoff with my Eymund.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 12:35 PM, willis elkins <timothywi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
That's great Bronwen. We would like to get much of the ballon/kite stuff setup and ready to go before 11am, if that makes it any easier.
Liz- really we just want to have some experienced folks around to help make things run smoothly. We will use Saturday to prep the kit and there are enough tutorials online to guide us through that.

I will post on publiclab website. Thanks!

Willis

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:12 AM, Bronwen Densmore <bron...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All-

I'm a strong maybe for this, I'm supposed to have a meeting on Sunday afternoon but might be able to swap things around a little bit.

-Bronwen

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Liz Barry <l...@publiclab.org> wrote:
Hey Willis,
This looks like a super event! I'm copying Eymund, Bronwen, & Nick in particular to see if any of them are interested in being there.
What questions do you have now about preparing for this?
Liz

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:40 AM, willis elkins <wel...@newtowncreekalliance.org> wrote:
This was sent around last month, but I wanted to make another plug for a Newtown Creek Alliance event happening April 12th, full info here: http://www.newtowncreekalliance.org/april-12th-north-henry-st-workshop/

We will be running some balloon (and possibly kite) photography at 11am (to coincide with low tide). If anyone is interested in helping out please shoot me an email. All the materials will be on hand, but anyone with aerial mapping experience will be a real asset. I have pasted bits of back and forth between me, Liz and Nicholas below as there is some info about balloon mapping that might be useful for the group.

Best,
Willis Elkins
Program Manager

--------------
Questions and Answers from previous email thread:

1. Can you recommend a good place to buy Helium?

- helium could be from a local party store in greenpoint, call around and you might find a deal. Then you can fill up the balloon in the neighborhood, make sure they have a door big enough to walk a 5'5" balloon out of, and walk it over to your launch site -- good for a pied piper effect :) Oh, just make sure they have "ultralift" helium that is not cut with air -- tell them you need it for the lift. If there's no party store around who can work with you, an industrial gas supplier will set up a contract and delivery of a tank to your site.

The only thing I can add to what Liz said is that I've had good experiences with Liberty Gases http://www.libertygases.com/  You have to put a deposit on a tank upfront which increases the cost but you will get that money back...and they deliver for cheap.

2. Do you have a camera to loan as well as the ballon and kite kits? I have memory cards but will need to secure a camera if not available.

- there is another event going on that will have our two better cameras, but i will look to see if i can find more. If you can get a canon camera, i can help you put the hack on it this coming week. It's totally not required, but i find it simplifies field work.

3. If not planning to fly that high and not to tether the ballon, should i still go through process of checkin with FAA?

- if you keep it down around 300 feet (the technical limit is 500) you shouldn't have to check with the FAA. BUT - little pictures close to the ground make stitching the map more time consuming. It might be worth going up high to get a few overview shots.

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/plots-nyc/CAEQzO-TMcB89XAan6MPNUMYhsft5PPHXg0GvVzjLoA-AGbMsEw%40mail.gmail.com.