Updates on this weekend's MBTA mapping!

Katie Gradowski

Mar 28, 2014, 4:51:20 PM3/28/14
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks!

Just a quick reminder -- mapping is still on for this weekend in Union Square (tentatively) and we found a place to host us!

Here is some updated information!

Sunday March 30, 12-4 pm
Rain date: Sunday April 6, 12-4pm
Where:  Ricky's Flower Market / Parts and Crafts
577 Somerville Ave, Somerville MA

A full day of mapping with the Public Lab for Open Science and Technology!   We'll head down to Union Square at noon to photograph the future MBTA Green Line site.   This map shows the seven possible development lots, as well as the future site for the MBTA station. This article has a pretty solid overview of the proposed redevelopment plan, as well as timelines for when they're supposed to start building.  Free / by donation, all are welcome!

Meeting place for balloon mapping:  Ricky's Flower Market
238 Washington Street,  Somerville MA 02143.  Ricky's Flower Market has graciously agreed to host us.  Parking is available across the street @ SCATV.  If you'd like to join us for mapping at noon, this is where you should go!

Post-mapping meetup @  Parts & Crafts!
577 Somerville Ave, Somerville MA 02143.   We'll also have some folks back at Parts and Crats to get people situated who want to work on non-mapping projects. At around 2 pm, the mapping crew will head back to do some image processing, order pizza, and hopefully get started on our map!

The weather report is predicting a 100% chance of torrential rain -- if that happens we'll punt balloon mapping to the following weekend.

We (Parts and Crafts) are also running an imaginary mapping workshop on Saturday (tomorrow) from 1-3 -- it's mostly geared towards kids, but if you want to do some whimsical cartography, you should come by and check it out!

Cross your fingers for good weather!

Katie Gradowski

Mar 29, 2014, 4:18:03 PM3/29/14
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
Mapping cancelled for tomorrow

Rain date:  Sunday April 6
12-4 pm @ Parts and Crafts

Sorry everyone!   The forecast has been upgraded to 60% chance of rain in between torrential downpours.   We're going to punt to next week, see you then!

Jeffrey Warren

Mar 29, 2014, 5:22:09 PM3/29/14
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com

Aww, darn rain! Are we just putting off the mapping or the whole toolshed raising?

Katie Gradowski

Mar 29, 2014, 5:28:55 PM3/29/14
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
My plan was to just punt the whole thing to next weekend.

I could be talked out of it, but my impression  (from the people I've heard back from) was that the bulk of folks were mostly coming for the mapping?   Also, it's nice to do them together!   That way you get everyone in one place and things can feed off each other and such.   I don't mind running tomorrow but that'd be my preference.

Thoughts?

Jeffrey Warren

Mar 29, 2014, 6:09:24 PM3/29/14
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com

No that sounds right... Next week then!!

Katie Gradowski

Mar 29, 2014, 6:25:03 PM3/29/14
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
Also if we do it next weekend maybe we can test out chris fastie's sweet new rig!

Jennifer Hudon

Mar 30, 2014, 7:56:50 AM3/30/14
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
While I'm bummed that today is rained out, I'm excited because I can come next Sunday! Let me know if there's anything I can bring. :)
Jennifer E. Hudon
c: 978.302.7908