9 tips for simple kite flying

Jeffrey Warren

Apr 16, 2014, 4:22:26 PM4/16/14
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've been trying to distill out simple guidelines for new kite mappers, and have a draft to share.

Note that the emphasis is on super cheap (<$100) super easy flights that go really high (1000 ft+). I know there are a lot of opinions out there about kite choice etc but this is supposed to be an as-easy-as-possible starting point. In fact, if possible, I'd like to make the list *shorter* and print it on a postcard or something!

Thoughts?

pablo rey

Apr 17, 2014, 5:00:00 AM4/17/14
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of a quick start list. Should we add how to set up the camera to this list or make and separate one? I've found that, for many new kite mappers, setting the camera and choosing the right mode (iso, focus, where to point first photo) is the most difficult/unknown step.

I like the advice: "use all your string". I've also seen that new kite mappers don't want to go too high, as they feel photos would be too far aya, which is usually wrong!

Once we think the list is almost ready I can translate it to Spanish.

carlosst

Apr 17, 2014, 6:44:43 AM4/17/14
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff
 You may want to point out that kite height is limited (300-500 feet ?) within a certain distance from airports. I believe it is within three miles. This information is readily available on the FAA website. Also if you want to fly your kite 1000 feet high I recommend that you have 1200 on your reel. You should always have "Line to give" if for some reason (High wind ?) your kite destabilizes and dives for the ground. Running forward could help, but that may not be a option.
   One more thing, since the main function of a tail is to provide stabilizing drag on the kite it does not have to heavy. A two liter plastic bottle with the bottom cut off makes a great drogue for a seven to nine foot kite. Make a four point bridle for the bottle by attaching four pieces of line to the open end at regular intervals. Even up the line and tie them together with a overhand knot. Your Drogue should be fairly close  to be back of your kite for best effect. Try the bottle drogue with the bottle cap on and off.

God Bless
Charles Stewart
High Spirits
www.letsflykites.com

Chris Fastie

Apr 20, 2014, 12:55:20 PM4/20/14
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, carlosst
3. Use a tail - put a 20 foot long FUZZY TAIL (ribbony, as seen here) on your kite. It will keep it stable and stop it from diving.
Kites will lift more without a tail.

6. Keep tension on the line - if it pulls, let it out as fast as you can.
If it pulls too hard, let out line or walk toward it.

7. Do a test flight - with no camera, to test the conditions
Practice flying in different conditions before putting a camera on the line. Choose a VERY large, VERY open place with no trees, power lines, buildings, roads, or people. It takes a while to learn.

9. Running is unnecessary - quickly get your kite up into strong, clean air: have someone release it upwards with 100 feet of tensioned line while walking upwind slowly.
Sometimes running is the only way to get the kite high enough to find the wind.

10. (the most important thing beginners need to learn because it is counter intuitive): If the kite dives sideways or downward, let out line. Pulling will increase the dive.

Flying a camera high is fun, but the most interesting photos are often close to the ground where detail is higher.

Chris