Re: Met you last year at ICCM conference—question about balloon mapping kit

Liz Barry

Mar 3, 2015, 9:11:02 AM3/3/15
to Aran Baker, plots-nyc, plots-s...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, jessibreen, Adam Griffith
HI Aran,
Great to connect with you again. What a great project!

To get you connected, I'm copying the NYC list for any leads on cheap helium for what i'm guessing will be test flights up here? I'm copying Jessi Breen as she has done nighttime aerial photography (not sure if video) http://publiclab.org/notes/jbreen/10-17-2013/nighttime-balloon-mapping.

Jessi and Adam are organizers located in the southeast (also a list that your local partners who are involved with the aerial imaging part of your cool event should join). I'm also copying the main grassrootsmapping list which is where people generally trade tips about these kinds of questions.

Ok, what next?
Liz

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Aran Baker <bake...@newschool.edu> wrote:
Hi Liz,

I met you last fall when you came to talk to our group about your work with balloon mapping—I was one of the Parsons students helping Mathan Ratinam organize the mapping challenge for the conference.

I wanted to reach out to you as I am currently working on a project for the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, and we are planning to use your kit to document our event. The project is a partnership between the city of Charlotte, IDEO, the New School, and the Knight Foundation, and is called The No Barriers Project.

We are designing an event/prototype in a local park to help facilitate connection between two neighborhoods in Charlotte, and a portion of the activities will happen at night. We plan to attach a GoPro to the balloon and send it up at night to video a light event from above. Then, we are planning to hook the GoPro up to an internet connection so we can stream the footage on the ground.

Several questions for you:

1. We wanted to know if you have ever successfully used a balloon to film video footage at night?

2. Would Public Lab be interested in having us promote you at our event, via our flyers, collateral, etc.?

3. Also, could you recommend a place where we can find cheap helium here in NY?

Sorry for the long email! Thank you for your time, and  please let me know if you are interested in talking further.

Thanks so much,

Aran

--
Aran Baker
MS Design and Urban Ecologies

Adam Griffith

Mar 3, 2015, 2:57:30 PM3/3/15
to Aran Baker, plots-nyc, plots-s...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, Liz Barry, jessibreen
Hi Aran,

I'm in Charlotte 5 days a week.  I did a flight two weeks ago for the first in Charlotte of which I'm aware.  It was on the main campus of UNCC.  The maps our students made are in Mapknitter.  I have a bunch of supplies you can use for backups or primary kits.  I probably have 4 -6 kits worth.  Let me know if you have any questions.  The project sounds awesome.

Adam

Liz Barry

Mar 3, 2015, 3:05:25 PM3/3/15
to Adam Griffith, Aran Baker, plots-nyc, plots-s...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, Liz Barry, jessibreen
Aran,
you should see if Adam can join you for the event or some pretrainings - he's a pro.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Liz Barry

Mar 4, 2015, 1:07:20 PM3/4/15
to Aran Baker, Adam Griffith, plots-nyc, plots-s...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, Liz Barry, jessibreen
Hi Aran,
I don't have en entire kit in stock, but i do have replacement balloons that you can purchase. i can lend you the other parts separately as part of our lending library. If you want a whole kit, can you order one from the store?

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Aran Baker <bake...@newschool.edu> wrote:
Hi Adam,

Sounds great! We would love to hear about your experiences and get your advice. Would you have any time to talk via phone or skype? I am free this Sunday, from about noon-3 pm, or next Tuesday morning. Please let me know if that might be possible, or if there is another time that would work better for you.

And thank you for the offer to borrow your supplies! It would be awesome to have backups, etc. while we are down there. If you are interested/available, we'd love to invite you to our event and would be great to get some pre-training from you! We'll be there from March 25-29th, and our event is on the evening of Friday, the 27th.

We haven't gotten our kit yet, but hope to purchase one here in NY and test before we go down there.

Thanks, and I look forward to talking with you,

Aran

Adam Griffith

Mar 5, 2015, 11:25:10 AM3/5/15
to Aran Baker, plots-nyc, plots-s...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, Liz Barry, jessibreen
Hi Aran,

I am available to talk on Tuesday AM the 10th of March.  How does 10:30 sound?

I can also provide some support when you are in Charlotte.  I have a very heavy class schedule on Wednesdays and Thursday, but can help anytime on Friday March 27th in the AM and early afternoon.  Also Thursday afternoon on the main campus of UNCC would work between 2 and 4:30.

Best,

Adam

[...]

Liz Barry

Mar 5, 2015, 12:26:52 PM3/5/15
to plots-s...@googlegroups.com, plots-nyc, jessibreen, Adam Griffith, grassroo...@googlegroups.com

Hey Aran,
The balloons cost the same price they are listed at on store.publiclab.org. come get one!

On Mar 4, 2015 4:57 PM, "Aran Baker" <bake...@newschool.edu> wrote:
Hi Liz,

Sounds great! How much are the replacement balloons you have? Depending on cost, we may want to purchase one and then borrow the other parts so we can test this weekend.

Essentially, we are waiting for Charlotte to give us the go ahead with the budget, so we are planning to purchase the whole kit online, we just can't do it yet.

Thanks so much,

Aran
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-southeast" group.