Sunday 3/30 Balloon mapping in Somerville - Union Square MBTA

1 view

Katie Gradowski

Mar 25, 2014, 9:50:02 PM3/25/14
to Parts and Crafts, plots-...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, sprout-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

Just a quick reminder, we're going to be having a gathering of mappers and kite-flyers at Parts and Crafts this weekend, Sunday 3/30 from 12-4.  It's a far cry from the mapping that's going on in the Gulf this week, but if you're in the greater Boston area and want to join up for a crash course in aerial photography, we'd love to have you along!

Meetup is at Parts and Crafts, a kid makerspace just outside of Union Square in Somerville.  Our address is 577 Somerville Ave, with parking across the street @ Veteran's Memorial Rink.  Here's the RSVP link for those who are planning to attend!

PLOTS Toolshed Raising: March Mapping Madness!
Sunday March 30, 12-4 pm

A full day of mapping with the Public Lab for Open Science and Technology! We’ll head down to Union Square at noon to photograph the future MBTA Green Line Site, with the main space open for PLOTS meetup on map stitching / thermal imaging / water quality / other projects people might want to work on.   PIzza will be provided.  Free / by donation, all are welcome!   For directions on how to get here visit www.partsandcrafts.org

My hope is that we can get some great pictures of the proposed lot allocations for the Union Square MBTA site for before-and-after comparison.   This map shows the seven possible development lots, as well as the future site for the MBTA station.   This article has a pretty solid overview of the proposed redevelopment plan, as well as timelines for when they're supposed to start building.

Questions to get the ball rolling!
  • For mapping, do people want to meet at Parts and Crafts and walk to Union or meet in the square?   I'm trying to find an abutter who will let us park ourselves on their property, but we could also locate ourselves in one of the parking lots.
  • I'd love to do a mapknitter demo for people who haven't used it yet!   If someone is interested in taking point on this, awesome!   We'll muddle through either way.   I'm hoping we can do at least a little bit of this in the afternoon and we have some laptops -- if you have a laptop, though, you should bring it!
  • Jeff had mentioned working on the Tidmarsh Farm photoset.   Our plan was to have open hacking back at the space, so if you're interested in working on this, by all means, bring your laptops and friends and we'll see how far we get!
  • What's the word on local helium supplies?   We've been getting it from Party City (no luck with airgas) but if there are other suppliers that have opened up in the last couple of months it'd be great to know about them. I'm going to pick up helium on Friday.   There's a shortage of wide open space, so I was planning to go with balloons rather than kites.
  • Other stuff I'm forgetting?   If people have other projects they want to work on we can look into sourcing materials on Friday.  We'll also have folks at P&C to get people situated and set up with workspace.
Cool!   I'm excited.   We'll plan for pizza around 2:30.  Cross your fingers for good weather, hope you can make it out!

All best,

Katie

Jeffrey Warren

Mar 26, 2014, 7:30:31 AM3/26/14
to sprout-...@googlegroups.com, Parts and Crafts, plots-...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
I'll bring some big kites in case it does seem like we could use them... if the wind is steady it's pretty safe!

This is a message from sprout-discuss: a high-traffic discussion mailing list for http://www.thesprouts.org . You can add yourself or unsubscribe at http://groups.google.com/group/sprout-discuss?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "sprout-discuss" group.