Request: help sort through Hurricane Harvey imagery for damaged industrial sites

1 view

Jeffrey Warren

Sep 26, 2017, 11:22:22 AM9/26/17
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com, plots-n...@googlegroups.com, plots-s...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com, plots-gulfcoast, plots-...@googlegroups.com, publiclab-la, laborator...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all -- in collaboration with Gulf Restoration Network, who's been doing flyovers of industrial sites hit by Harvey, we're trying to compile a list of such sites (oil refineries, chemical plants, etc) for reporting, to try to track any toxic spills that have happened.

If you have 5 or 10 minutes, please take a look at this activity, or pass it along to anyone interested in helping out.

Once we get through this image set we hope to re-use this workflow for other sources of imagery for this and potentially other recent and future disasters.

Of note is that folks from NOAA swiftly responded to our request that their maps have better coordinate display to ease in reporting -- thanks to the folks who helped make that connection and identify the right map features to add! NOAA updated their may by the following morning.

Thanks, all, and especially to Scott Eustis, Leslie Birch, Mikel Maron, fellow PL staff, and others;

-- Jeff