Re: Taking to the sky with my middle school students in Bryn Mawr

Liz Barry

Mar 3, 2015, 8:37:48 AM3/3/15
to Ryan Barnes, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, plots-phi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ryan,
Exciting to hear about your projects!
I'm adding in the main grassrootsmapping list as there are a good number more folks there who may be able to respond.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:07 PM, Ryan Barnes <ryba...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm about to embark on an adventure of building a few 'aerial photography' projects with some of my students. We have the opportunity to commit 3 full days to these projects, which is super exciting. I was planning on small model rockets, water rockets, kites & RC planes at the moment. I'm diving into building nice large lifty kites, and started to think about the balloon route as well. I've done plenty of kite photography, but never the balloon route. I'm interested in some guidance and suggestions on what I can do, and how I can bridge the lesson of experimentally flying things into environmental mapping. If anyone would like to lend a hand, I would be greatful for any input!

Thanks!
-Ryan Barnes

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

Sean McGinnis

Mar 3, 2015, 9:38:18 AM3/3/15
to Liz Barry, Ryan Barnes, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, plots-phi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ryan,
Your projects sounds great, I like the way you are incorporating 4 or 5 different flight vehicles to take the images.

Not sure what your timeline is, but there are a few things coming up that might help answer some questions about balloon mapping and tying it to environmental mapping.

We are doing a Balloon Mapping workshop and image stitching session as part of Philly Tech Week (http://meetu.ps/2Ggd10). At the flight workshop we will have a folks that have flown a number of balloons, kites and used pole mapping for different projects. The second event that day (http://meetu.ps/2Ggd0Z) will be twofold, learn to build camera rigs from juice bottles and use MapKnitter to stitch together imagery for use in other projects.

If you'd like, we can schedule a Skype session and talk about what you've got going on, some similar projects going on in the region and particular discuss and questions you may have.
-sean