AppCivist | CITRIS

Patrick Coyle

Mar 9, 2015, 2:17:40 AM3/9/15
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, Cristhian Daniel, Peter Swigert, Jeffrey Warren
I met Christian this weekend and we discussed his role in this initiative. I also put him in touch with Peter, who is also at UC Berkeley, and pursuing citizen engagement tools.

http://citris-uc.org/social-apps-lab/project/appcivist/

Both are looking at Public Lab tools, particularly Mapknitter.

Sent from my iPhone

Liz Barry

Mar 9, 2015, 8:40:01 AM3/9/15
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, Jeffrey Warren, publicla...@googlegroups.com, Peter Swigert, cdp...@gmail.com

Great to meet you Christian!

--
Post to this group at grassroo...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "grassrootsmapping" group.

Liz Barry

Mar 10, 2015, 9:01:15 AM3/10/15
to Cristhian Daniel, Liz Barry, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, Jeffrey Warren, publicla...@googlegroups.com, Peter Swigert
Sounds good Cristhian. Quite an extensive list of functions specified for AppCivist. Might you happen to have a chart comparing it with Loomio, Discourse, Polis, DemocracyOS, etc?

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Cristhian Daniel <cdp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Liz, Jeffrey and all:

First, thanks Pat for connecting me. I think the work that is being done by the Public Laboratory looks really interesting and related to the kind of decision-making process we want to build and support with AppCivist. I will subscribe to the google groups and follow the discussions, and if you have sometime any time soon, I would love to have a chat with you.

I am joined Berkeley recently (~3 weeks ago) and I am a postdoc at CITRIS (the center for information technology research on the interest of society), located in Sutardja Dai Hall. The professor directing the lab that we are leading with appcivist is James Holston, in case you know him.

Best Regards,

Cristhian Daniel

Mar 16, 2015, 10:50:31 AM3/16/15
to Andrew Ngui, publicla...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, peter....@berkeley.edu, je...@publiclaboratory.org
Thanks Andrews for sharing! Shapemycity is definitely a great example of the kind of prototypes we are aiming to build.

@Liz: we just started, so there isn't yet a chart comparing appcivist with any of those. However, Loomio is one of our main sources of inspiration, among many others.

What we envision is to create a platform where activists and citizens will be able to easily manage the "composition of civic engagement services" to support their decision making activities (e.g., "let's say I am an NGO that likes the deliberation mechanisms in Loomio, but wan't to add on top a design workflow, mapping capabilities - using Usahidi Crowdmaps or openstreetmaps - to support discussions and instead of their voting systems, use a ranked voting algorithm from elsewhere").

To work towards that goal, we will be working with groups of CS and social sciences students at the Socialappslab of CITRIS, each group focusing on creating service-oriented prototypes for each of the capabilities we aim to support (e.g., proposal making, deliberation, voting, mapping, etc.)

Right now, we are at the stage of defining what each capability means in terms of basic operations that can then turn into service APIs. After that, we will explore what services exists already that can support these basic operations, and how can they be composed.

One project that is already doing something very similar is Poplus, where they already have several "components" that can be integrated in websites.

Best Regards,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM Andrew Ngui <andre...@gmail.com> wrote:
also check out http://shapemycity.ca/