OpenHour starting in 20 minutes - watch/chat at https://publiclab.org/openhour

Liz Barry

Jun 6, 2016, 12:40:13 PM6/6/16
to ever...@publiclab.org
Should be a good one! 6 presenters: three lawyers and three community researchers
Watch / chat at https://publiclab.org/openhour
--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Cindy Regalado

Jun 6, 2016, 2:38:22 PM6/6/16
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com
I'm leaving for Austria now for the kick-off of our EU projects Do it together science - DITOs and this open hour was a huge inspiration with much food for thought! Thanks Liz and all those who took part (it was also great listening to you all!)
Hugs,
Cindy

--
Post to this group at grassroo...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "grassrootsmapping" group.

/Cindy Regalado

Jeffrey Warren

Jun 6, 2016, 2:40:08 PM6/6/16
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com
This was such a great openhour -- *so much* covered, and such great tips and suggestions for those collecting environmental evidence!

Thanks all!

Bronwen Densmore

Jun 6, 2016, 2:53:57 PM6/6/16
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
I was lurking, but this was a really great Open Hour, and I'm planning to go back and look things over later (also, I'm pretty sure I went to high school with one of this afternoon's presenters). I know I've been trying to articulate my thoughts about how and where legal and academic notions of proof converge, and there was definitely a lot to chew on here. Thanks, guys!

Post to this group at publicla...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science" group.

Liz Barry

Jun 6, 2016, 3:58:37 PM6/6/16
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com
Great thanks! Some of the presenters are on our lists, and the others i will relay your sentiments.

Cindy -- FYI we'd like to hear about "Do It Together Science" and the geographic regions you're working in on an OpenHour in the near future.

Bronwen -- it would be great to hear how you end up articulating it, many people have been asking if we are going to write up anything on this topic.

Hagit Keysar

Jun 7, 2016, 6:45:45 PM6/7/16
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com
I just listened to it and it was really interesting, for me especially in regard to the particular uses and qualities of visual data as proof.
It made me also think about the fact that even if you produce a photographed testimony, whether by using a hand held device or with a kite as proxy, you still need to defend and authenticate the validity of the information, by testifying in person and authenticating the process, as mentioned by Edan and Aaron, but also you might also need to authenticate metadata for proving the reliability of you visual data - especially in the case of photographs which can be easily manipulated.
It reminded me of this app, CameraV, for android phones that lets you take pictures/video while encrypting a lot of metadata and sending it to a secured destination. Another form of witnessing through proxy.
might be relevant to some of you.

hagit.

----
חגית קיסר | حجيت  كيسار | hagit keysar

PhD candidate Ben Gurion University
Public Lab community organizer
ph: 972-(0)54-6395936

Jeffrey Warren

Jun 8, 2016, 9:51:21 AM6/8/16
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com
Hagit, that's such a great app, thanks! Interesting that the Guardian was involved, and that it focuses on chain of custody for photographs.

I actually just met Gabi Sobliye from Tactical Tech Collective, who works on the Exposing the Invisible project, and she and Marek mentioned meeting you as well.