Any interest in a Coders Club in Grand Rapids?

Kamron Kennedy

Apr 2, 2016, 5:48:02 PM4/2/16
to Grand Rapids Java User Group
Hello!

I'm a long time lurker of gr-jug, from Lansing.

I recently started a monthly event called Coders Club where we host a 2 hour networking and learning session. The topic of what we cover varies and depends on votes taken on our website: vote.codersfarm.com

For example, this month in March we covered SQL Basics and went how to interact with a database on it's simplest terms (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, SELECT). We covered how a "client" differentiates from a "server" and a good group of people left all knowing how to look at SQL code and get started with making their own reports and managing their own data.

It's set up to be a 2 hour event: 1/2 hour questions/discussion/networking, 1 hour of code/instruction, 1/2 hour questions/discussion/networking

I'm trying to gauge interest on something like this. Also, I'm not entirely sure on where the gr-jug meets but I would need to find a host as well.

In Lansing I do it on the 3rd Wednesday of every month ironically enough to :( but possibly I could come to GR to do a CC the 2nd Wednesday of every month (if this is deemed something of interest of course).

Hope this is a good place to ask :) came here before trying my luck on reddit....

Ben Rousch

Apr 2, 2016, 8:00:56 PM4/2/16
to Grand Rapids Java User's Group
We love programming groups here in Grand Rapids and always welcome more - your proposal sounds like something that would work really well with the Learning to Code Group (http://www.meetup.com/Learn-To-Code-Grand-Rapids/). As far as scheduling, you can refer to the West MI tech calendar (http://conga-wm.org/calendar/) to figure out a good night.