GRDevNight Sept 16 - It's All in the Presentation

Rob Geer

Aug 26, 2014, 9:39:09 AM8/26/14
to grand-rapids-j...@googlegroups.com
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 from 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM (EDT)

Davenport University
6191 Kraft Ave SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512

It's All in the Presentation

Being a good developer requires you to have good presentation skills. This will be the theme of our next DevNight at Davenport University. It will start with a keynote presentation from local speaker coach Zoe Carmichael on How to Present Like a Pro!

After a short break, we’ll continue on with our own Tech Idol contest, where 8 local developers will each give a 5 minute presentation on a topic of their choosing to a panel of judges. At the end of the night 3 winners will be awarded prizes.

If you’d like to present please fill out a Contestant Application located on our website.  www.grdevnight.org

Rules for the contest are located on our website.

A light dinner will be provided at the start of the evening.

Keynote Topic: How to Present Like a Pro!

This talk is designed to equip you with the basic skills you need to know before your next presentation. Participants will learn how to refine your topic, how to best identify the needs of your audience, gather and organize your research and present it all in such a way to leave them wanting more. We will also talk about the appropriate use of visuals and how to polish your delivery skills.

Keynote Presenter: Zoe Carmichael

Communication Consultant, Zoe Carmichael is a teacher, trainer, facilitator and speaker coach. She specializes in guiding speakers on the creation and delivery of short, to the point, engaging presentations. Zoe is currently an adjunct professor at Kendall College of Art and Design and her professional background includes sales, marketing, public speaking and teaching a variety of communication courses at Aquinas College, Calvin College, Davenport University and Grand Rapids Community College. She is a mentor for several local start-ups, teaches classes for Start Garden and has trained presenters for ArtPrize, TEDxGrandRapids, TEDxMacatawa, the Momentum Michigan Start Up Teams and has judged a variety of business plan competitions. She holds a Bachelors degree from Calvin College and a Masters degree from Western Michigan University.

DevNight is a quarterly mini-conference for developers in Grand Rapids, MI. If you enjoy our sister event, GRDevDay, then you'll love DevNight. Join us for good food, networking, and some great speakers presenting on topics relevant to the modern software developer.