Guacamole on Grails

Johannes Sianipar

Aug 12, 2016, 4:20:27 AM8/12/16
to Grails Dev Discuss
Hello Everyone,

I have problems in developing a guacamole web app on grails framework.
Guacamole is a remote desktop gateway, that create a tunnel between a browser (client) and the guacamole server. The guacamole server is behind the web app.
I found out that the grails framework has buffering in processing http packets. Guacamole does not work when there is buffering between client and server, because there are sync messages that must be sent immediately without buffer.
My questions are:
1. Is there anyway that i can configure grails so that it will flush the buffer per packet?
2. Is there any way that i can bypass the buffering for specific type of packets or URI?

Any suggestions or helps will be welcomed.

Thank you.

Raviteja Lokineni

Aug 12, 2016, 2:04:20 PM8/12/16
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it has anything to do with Grails AFAIK.

To the best of my knowledge, you should ideally be checking web container configuration you are deploying in. For ex, If you are using tomcat, check tomcat config.

Raviteja Lokineni | Business Intelligence Developer
TD Ameritrade

Johannes Sianipar

Aug 12, 2016, 5:00:26 PM8/12/16
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
I come to a conclusion that there must be buffering problem on grails, based on these:
1. The similar guacamole web-app is working fine without grails. My existing app is on grails, so i need to make it work on grails.
2. Based on guacamole troubleshooting user guide, the symptoms shown that there is buffering problem between client (browser) and guacamole server.
3. I used tomcat7 as the web container in production and in development environment.
4. AFAIK: grails use buffers for rendering GSP, sitemesh, streamcharbuffer. But, i am not sure whether grails intercepts and buffers the http tunnel packets.

i don't think the problem is in the tomcat configuration. Guacamole should work with tomcat default config. But to make sure, could you be more specific about the config? Which part of the config that should i check?

Thank you.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 4:20 AM, Johannes Sianipar <run...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Colin Harrington

Aug 12, 2016, 5:24:39 PM8/12/16
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Johannes,

I can't say that I'm terribly familiar with gaucamole - https://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/  From what I see, guacamole is a native application that you would build and deploy on a Linux server.  Can you explain specifically how you are integrating guacamole with a Grails application?  You mentioned that you intended to tunnel between the client (browser) and server (client).  Explaining some of the mechanics might give us some insight and show how we might point you in the right direction.

Thank you

Colin Harrington
Grails Developer
@ColinHarrington

Johannes Sianipar

Aug 15, 2016, 4:45:32 AM8/15/16
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Colin,

Basically, i just need to run guacamole web application on grails. I followed the instructions on http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/0.9.9/gug/writing-you-own-guacamole-app.html. it is working fine without grails. I did the following to implement the same app on grails 2.4.5:
1. changed the index.html file to index.gsp file.
2. add the needed dependencies and plugins
3. install template
4. create a java servlet (this servlet creates a tunnel between guacamole client and guacamole server).
5. configure web.xml

I tried three schemes:
1. Client-browser (Windows Machine) -- guacamole-grails web app (linux VM#1) -- guacd server (linux VM#1) -- VNC server (linux VM#1)
2. Client-browser (Windows Machine) -- guacamole-grails web app (linux VM#2) -- guacd server (linux VM#1) -- VNC server (linux VM#1)
3. Client-browser (Windows Machine) -- guacamole-grails web app (Windows Machine) -- guacd server (linux VM#1) -- VNC server (linux VM#1)

The results of these three schemes are the same. The remote desktop was shown for about 2 seconds before it was disconnected. The guacd server sent a sync message to the guacamole client (browser). But when the client replied by sending the sync message to the guacd server, the sync message has never been forwarded by the guacamole-grails web app. Using log and wireshark, i am sure that the sync message from the client was received by the web app, but has never been forwarded to the guacd server. Guacd server thinks that the client is not responding and disconnect the client.

I disabled the authentication on guacamole to have the remote desktop shown without login to guacamole app.
Guacamole creates a tunnel between guacamole-client (browser) and guacd server via web app.

Thank you for your help.

--
Colin Harrington
Grails Developer

virtual dogbert

Sep 15, 2016, 1:18:03 PM9/15/16
to Grails Dev Discuss
Hey Johannes,

I have the same issue and tried was was stated here:
https://glyptodon.org/jira/browse/GUAC-1252

I still haven't gotten it to work with Grails. Did you have any luck.

-Tucker