Query regarding LOR & SOP

Sanjit

Nov 10, 2015, 1:07:25 PM11/10/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I've the following queries related to SOP and LOR
1. SOP
Do I have to explicitly mention in SOP that I want the thesis or non thesis degree option for MS as even after going through the sample SOP's given in this group this point is not clear?

2. LOR
Can the LOR be submitted related to an industrial internship whose topic of study has no relevance to the subject of Master's course?

Regards
Sanjit Paliwal

Aditya Virmani

Nov 10, 2015, 7:45:22 PM11/10/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hey

1st: It's your SOP. Make it your own way, the guides or SOPs available for reference may guide you about the structure, but not what you want to do. Certain set of universities are interested in Thesis students, so it would be preferable if you can show your interest in thesis/research for these universities.
2: LORs should be such that it helps the admission committee select your profile. Now, there may be several aspects that the committee might look for. If you think that recommendation can serve this purpose, and you can't get any better recommendations, take it.

Regards
Aditya

Sent from my iPhone

Sanjit

Nov 10, 2015, 9:00:13 PM11/10/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply. According to me LOR should serve a purpose of recognizing an individual's ability towards problem solving in other areas not related to MS specialization, otherwise it would just become an extension of SOP.

Regards
Sanjit Paliwal

abhishek bhardwaj

Nov 10, 2015, 9:09:01 PM11/10/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
1. You don't have to explicitly say anything. I would just go about saying what topics interest you and how there program is suited for those topics (labs, courses etc.)

2. It IS an extension of your SOP, extension does not mean its the same thing rather it adds an extra dimension to the work you talked about in your SOP.

This dimension is from the point of view of an adviser or a professor. Hopefully they can write about your work, giving personal insights about your technical contributions and how you contributed to the project / lab overall. The LOR is supposed to be written independently. It is unfortunate that a lot of the students have to resort to writing it themselves.

I would strongly recommend that the LOR be engineering related at the very least (if you are applying for an engineering masters).

Abhishek
Regards,
Abhishek Bhardwaj

abhishek bhardwaj

Nov 10, 2015, 9:09:46 PM11/10/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
how their* program
--
Regards,
Abhishek Bhardwaj

Sanjit

Nov 10, 2015, 10:34:59 PM11/10/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I have not mentioned the Summer Internship (Instrumentation specially flowmeters related at GAIL) for which I'm getting the LOR in the SOP as it is not related to my MS subject of Industrial Engineering. Additionally this LOR covers my induction training for my current professional job, as the both the induction training and internship took place at the same place. Would that be a problem then?

Regards
Sanjit Paliwal

Mona sharma

Nov 11, 2015, 2:07:46 PM11/11/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sanjit

IMHO, if you are getting an LOR talking about something you don't mention at all in your SOP - I think that might come across as a little odd. It is definitely important to stay focussed on your area of interest - but most people who will be reviewing your application understand that sometimes you need to experiment to find your area of interest.

If you can somehow mention the Summer internship in a positive light - like you took it because it was a different kind of challenge or you learned something valuable out of it. The person giving you the LOR can focus on your qualities - how hard working, dedicated you are - how you behave in the face of difficulties etc.

Just my $0.02

Sanjit

Nov 12, 2015, 3:43:41 AM11/12/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe instead of mentioning the internship in the SOP (as it's topic is nowhere related to the subject of MS course) I could spin the LOR in bringing out my general qualities as working professional which are relevant for the MS course. Also the person recommending me has done his Master's in the same course that I'm applying for so that could be a plus. This summer internship though unrelated to my MS course is something which introduced me to the topics of Industrial Standards followed by corporations throughout the world. And this LOR also addresses my induction training period for my current job which I've mentioned in the SOP.

Regards
Sanjit Paliwal

Sanjit

Nov 12, 2015, 9:42:32 AM11/12/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm facing  another problem realted to LOR. Out of 3 LORs how many need to be from college professors? Can it be the case  that I have 1 LOR from a College professor with which I did my BTP , 1 from Summer Internship at an Industrial Corporation and 1 from my current job supervisor at an Industrial corporation.

Thanks in advance.

Regard
Sanjit Paliwal

Sanjit

Nov 14, 2015, 12:30:51 PM11/14/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
I think I got my answer now thanks to TAMU and all the seniors here at this group. Below is the answer of TAMU.

Q. Do my letters of recommendation have to come from my professors? Can I ask my employer for a letter?

The preferred source of letters of recommendation is the faculty who advised you in research projects and who taught your most advanced computing courses. We are most interested in assessments of your research potential and scholarly aptitude, and your rank and performance in the courses they taught you.

If you cannot obtain enough letters from your current or previous professors, then you may also include letters from employers. However, you should understand that in most cases such a letter will not be given the same weight as letters from your professors.

Regards

Sanjit Paliwal