Sugestion for colleges to pursue MS in CS(NSIT2013)

Shivani Sabhlok

Sep 29, 2016, 12:40:00 PM9/29/16
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I graduated from NSIT(2013,COE). I had an aggregate of 76.23% in Undergrad and scored 320(Q:166,V:154) in GRE with 3.5 in AWA.
Past 3 years, I have worked with 3 companies( Fiserv, a start-up in California and Ciena).
I have 2 professional LoR's( one from director software engineering and other from VP , not sure if designation matters) and one academic (Prof Sangeeta Sabharwal).

I am assuming USC, University of Minnesota, Ohio state university, NCSU, UC Irvine and Virginia Tech as my moderate to safe universities.

I would really appreciate if someone could suggest if these universities can be considered safe or if I should apply for some other safe universities.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Shivani

Piyush Maheshwari

Oct 3, 2016, 12:54:17 PM10/3/16
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Random piece of advice - Please check with Sangeeta Sabharwal if she is willing to copy-paste-email the LOR to as many universities as you wish to apply to. In my case she refused to send  LOR's after four universities (She said "Mere pass aur koi kaam nahi hai kya?"). I literally had to beg her since I had already put her name in my application (since she was my BTP advisor).

Akash Gangil

Oct 3, 2016, 1:25:44 PM10/3/16
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
You can be a little ambitious. Can easily include Georgia Tech, its not tough to get an admit there as people think it is. The above list is too safe.

Akash

Piyush Maheshwari

Ishan Nigam

Oct 3, 2016, 2:19:33 PM10/3/16
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
It might help to observe any Grad School (GaTech in this context) at a finer scale... If you have a background in (say) ML/ Vision, it might be tough; GaTech has amazing people working in those areas so a lot of stellar aspirants might apply to GaTech for similar interests.

Think of it as applying to a department, not to a school. The chances (amb/ mod/ saf) vary according to the specific research areas/ groups&labs/ individual faculty.

Thanks,
Ishan

Shivani Sabhlok

Oct 4, 2016, 10:13:11 AM10/4/16
to NSIT to Graduate School
Yes Sangeeta ma'am did tell me today she won't recommend for more than 4.i was planning to apply for 13-16 universities including CMU, UPenn, TAMU, UIUC, MICHIGAN, UMASS AMHERST, Georgia Tech and UCSD as my ambitious ones. Please suggest which ones you think can be striked off.

Animesh Garg

Oct 4, 2016, 1:24:38 PM10/4/16
to NSIT to Graduate School
Use Interfolio for managing the dossier. Its slightly costly but can get around this problem of letter writers to worry about putting in many recs.

Monadhika Sharma

Oct 4, 2016, 1:35:52 PM10/4/16
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Disclaimer: I have absolutely no qualifications to select universities for you and this is strictly my opinion:

CMU, Upenn, Georgia Tech : Kinda easier to get in to versus the rest you listed. Maybe even UIUC is worth a try but it is still ambitious.

TAMU has a lot more competition IMO.

PS: Fun Fact: Most universities use either a dart board or a spin-the-wheel to reject or select candidates. You or anyone else can't predict really whether you will make it or not. Just play the statistics right (apply at enough safe, mod and ambitious universities) and you'd be fine.