Research Internship during Winter Break

Manraj Singh

Sep 6, 2015, 3:19:59 PM9/6/15
to NSIT to Graduate School
Respected seniors,

I'm Manraj Singh, currently studying in 4th year, Instrumentation And Control. I wish to do Research Intern during upcoming Winter Break in one of the prestigious universities.

I have previously done a research project in Natural Language Processing and paper is being drafted. I have recently started exploring Artificial Intelligence and would like to do research in the same.

I also plan to do MS in Computer Science soon.

Please guide me how to go about it and please share some opportunities, if you know of any.

Thanking you,
Manraj Singh

Divyansh Agarwal

Sep 6, 2015, 3:37:34 PM9/6/15
to NSIT to Graduate School
Hello Everyone,

Thank you Manraj for this post.

Like Manraj I'm also a final year student of IT at NSIT, and am looking for research internships in the upcoming Winter break.
My core interest lies in the field of Machine Learning and predictive analytics. I am working on a research project in the field of ML.
I'm an aspirant Data Scientist with a keen interest in the field of Algorithm Design. I'm also a Kaggle enthusiast, and have tried my hands on a few competitions there.

Any guidance & inputs will be most helpful. Do share information regarding opportunites if you know of any.

Regards,
Divyansh

Manasvi Tickoo

Sep 6, 2015, 3:37:40 PM9/6/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com

I believe winter breaks are only for a month. That's too short a time for a meaningful internship abroad and its too late to start your search now. But still, try and pen down the profs u want to work with. A good way is to look at papers and conferences in AI, NLP.

Manasvi Tickoo

Sep 6, 2015, 3:46:16 PM9/6/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com

Also, my two cents on ML and related fields. I don't know about PhD and research career after that but I can speak for ML opportunities in the industry.

In today's time, ML is just a skill. Like you write C++, Java on your resume. Similarly, people write ML as a skill. You need to be able to apply ML to some field whether if be vision, speech or predictive models.
Most of the companies have their suite of ML algos already built on top of open source packages. So, its very trivial to use those algos. The more difficult part is formulating your problem in a way (and acquiring data) where u can apply these tools to help you solve the problem.

The other path is obviously to go into mathematical details and tweaking these algos.

Message has been deleted

Divyansh Agarwal

Sep 6, 2015, 4:09:25 PM9/6/15
to NSIT to Graduate School
Point well noted. The job does become trivial when you have to use already built stuff, or just tweak the ML algorithms used in the industry.

I personally wish to work on designing machine learning algorithms, or their application on real world problems in the form of research project. There's much more to learn by working on raw, challenging data and generating new insights. That's exactly why I'm looking for opportunities with reputed university professors to guide me.
It'll also help me in applying for Masters later on.

Thanking you,
Divyansh

Manasvi Tickoo

Sep 6, 2015, 4:10:12 PM9/6/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com

I guess my parents hated me for giving me a feminine name but I like to think it's unisex :)

There was an excel sheet floating around when I was in college with a list of contacts for internships mainly in European schools. I will try to find a copy. It's outdated but may be of some help.

On Sep 6, 2015 4:04 PM, "Divyansh Agarwal" <agarwal.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Point well noted Ma'am. The job does become trivial when you have to use already built stuff, or just tweak the ML algorithms used in the industry.

I personally wish to work on designing machine learning algorithms, or their application on real world problems in the form of research project. There's much more to learn by working on raw, challenging data and generating new insights. That's exactly why I'm looking for opportunities with reputed university professors to guide me.
It'll also hlep me in applying for Masters later on.

Thanking you,
Divyansh

Manraj Singh

Sep 6, 2015, 4:19:14 PM9/6/15
to NSIT to Graduate School
That will help a lot sir. Thank you so much. And sorry for previous private reply. That was by mistake. :)

Sir, could you also guide on how to go about creating a good profile given we have a year to prepare now and I'm not planning to go for MS directly.
I'm not sure of specialization for now as I'm yet to explore more.