The GRE Subject Test

Shashwat Deepali Nagar

Jul 26, 2015, 12:02:59 PM7/26/15
to NSIT to Graduate School
Hi!

Just wanted to know if any one you took the GRE Subject Test. A lot of programs strongly recommend it (yes, in bold letters - and that scares me a bit). As I understand, the test is only administered once in India (in late October) and till the time results are declared, it may be too late for most Grad schools.

If you did, how did you go about it?

Thanks a tonne!

Regards,
Shashwat Deepali Nagar

Aviral Goel

Jul 26, 2015, 11:59:28 PM7/26/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com

Dear Shashwat,

For which course are you applying and to which universities? I didn't see any university strongly recommending it for CS.

Best,
Aviral Goel

Atul Dhingra

Jul 27, 2015, 1:19:57 AM7/27/15
to GRE Forum
CS Subject test was discontinued last i checked in 2013.

--
Atul Dhingra
Visiting Researcher

Shashwat Deepali Nagar

Jul 27, 2015, 4:47:54 AM7/27/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Sorry. Should have mentioned this earlier - I'm applying for Integrative Biology/Molecular and Developmental Biology Courses.

And yes, the Subject test for CS was discontinued in 2013.

Regards,
Shashwat Deepali Nagar

Sindhiya Arora

Jul 27, 2015, 9:32:32 AM7/27/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shashwat,

When I applied for masters in Biomedical Engineering, I didn't write the GRE Subject Test. But it might not be the case with you. If I were you, I would contact current students in a program relevant to your interest. That helps a lot, as students are very responsive.

Hope it helps.

Best,
Sindhiya

--
Sindhiya

Aviral Goel

Jul 27, 2015, 10:36:02 AM7/27/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shashwat,

I talked to a Bioinformatics PhD student. She said that she is aware of people who got in without taking the test. But yes, it is recommended to take the test. Apply for the earliest date for the test. I believe you will get the unofficial score at the time you take the test itself. You can fill that in the application form. Once you get the official score, you can send it to the universities. In case you don't have the score, just apply without it. You can still send the score to universities with a late deadline. Its better to take the test though. If it comes down to worst (you don't get selected) then you can apply next year with the scores in hand.

Best,
Aviral Goel

Shashwat Deepali Nagar

Jul 27, 2015, 11:13:06 PM7/27/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com

Thanks a tonne for your inputs.
I'll contact current students and find out more.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Shashwat