Research in Game Theory

Shikhar Gupta

Feb 27, 2015, 8:19:42 AM2/27/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently in third year in ECE department. By pursuing some online courses, I've developed an interest in Gme Theory. Since I also have an interest in computers(P.S. I hate Electronics, which I realised very late), I want to do research in Algorithmic Game Theory.
I would like you to recommend me some study material about it and are there any future prospects in this field. And also are there any teachers in NSIT who can help me with this subject.

Thank You.

Animesh Garg

Feb 28, 2015, 4:16:39 AM2/28/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shikhar,
Great that you developed an interest in Game Theory.
I think you should look into departments like Operations Research and Electrical Engineering. Computer Science is also an application and some departments might have professors working in the area. But I mostly know electrical engineering like MIT, Stanford, Berkeley. And then as I said OR is the main area where people would do such work.

Introductory game theory is usually taught in graduate level algorithm courses--stuff like zero-sum games, nash equilibrium and the kind. But more advanced stuff like stochastic games in more complex settings, multiplayer games and such are usually graduate level stuff in most places.

Resources: I would suggest looking for something here http://www.quora.com/What-books-are-a-good-introduction-to-game-theory

As for future prospects, it would have bright applications. So dont worry about that yet.
I am not sure about teachers at NSIT doing active work in the area. Ask around.

Best of luck

Saurabh Kushwaha

Feb 28, 2015, 4:50:00 AM2/28/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com

Nishant Gupta

Feb 28, 2015, 7:45:39 AM2/28/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shikhar

Check my answer on Quora here regarding the online courses:
http://qr.ae/ExBeO

In addition to that, have a look at Tim Roughgarden's lectures on Algorithmic game theory and mechanism: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4Ga14Y4ELFKrEYM1vXCg/playlists

Hope this helped

Nishant Gupta
ECE, NSIT 2008-2012

Jitesh Gupta

Feb 28, 2015, 7:25:20 PM2/28/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Professors at IIIT-Delhi do research in Game Theory. You can approach them.

Regards
Jitesh Gupta
Graduate Student
Embedded Systems(CIS)
University of Pennsylvania

raunaq....@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2015, 2:04:45 AM3/1/15
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
IIIT delhi has one prof who works with game theory.

Try reaching out to Mr. Shreemoy Mishra over email. U may get the email id from iiitD website.

He is a chill guy and wouldn't mind meeting you for a chat about game theory. But he is very particular about efforts from a student's side before he can start working. So do brush up GT concepts b4 meeting him as he cross questions a lot.
Good Luck :)

Regards
Raunaq Sawhney
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel