Scholarships and Education Loan

Prashant Khurana

Oct 21, 2012, 11:07:10 AM10/21/12
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,
I wanted to ask if it is a wise decision to go for an education loan as in going for a better university by taking a loan or going for the one which provides you scholarship. Also i gave my gre a few weeks back and somehow haven't been able to do much amount to search about the scholarship programmes. If there are any quick links which anybody can share, it would be of great help.

Regards,
Prashant Khurana
Undergraduate Student Information Technology

Ishan Nigam

Apr 19, 2016, 4:49:35 PM4/19/16
to NSIT to Graduate School
Putting oneself through a long-term financial burden is a subjective decision; the cost of the program/ what you're looking to get out of it/ associated return on investment and several other factors have to be considered.

For example, if one wants to specialize in a subfield of CS coming from COE, or perhaps ECE, it is possible to find 1-2 research groups in public/state schools which would meet the requirements and would be easy on your pocket. However, one may choose to let a big name (Stanford/ Columbia/ CMU/ etc.) influence their decision when a slightly lower ranked program could have done the job and potentially saved the candidate tens of thousands of dollars.

There is no correct answer here. Depending on individual preferences, a loan may or may not be a wise choice.

A Quora question about undergraduate education putting a student into debt - http://qr.ae/8Gx3Ho.