UMich vs UT Austin

Divyansh Pal

Apr 13, 2016, 12:15:14 AM4/13/16
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I received an admit from UMich for MS in Robotics and UT Austin for MS in Aerospace.
Anyone currently in any of the above branches or the college? If not can someone link me to people pursuing these courses.
I wanted to know more about opportunities after pursuing course in Controls in Aerospace field (which I can pursue in both options)

Regards,
Divyansh Pal

abhishek bhardwaj

Apr 13, 2016, 12:18:16 AM4/13/16
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com, Sarv Parteek Singh

CCed Sarv who is probably the best guy to answer these questions. If you can please keep some part of  this exchange on the group for future students :)

Congrats on the admits.

-
AB

Sarv Parteek Singh

Apr 16, 2016, 12:57:46 PM4/16/16
to abhishek bhardwaj, graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi Divyansh,

UMich is very strong in controls, across all engineering departments - ME, EECS, Naval and Aerospace. The university hosts control seminars every week since 1970s I believe, where major researchers across the world are invited to give talks. Since the university is located close to Detroit, most controls majors end up working in automotive companies. However, you should check the course requirements of MS in Robotics to see how much flexibility you have to pursue a controls-heavy degree.
I'm not aware of such details about UT Austin.

Sarv

--
"How does one become a butterfly?", she asked pensively. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar"

Shanjit Singh

Apr 16, 2016, 1:21:49 PM4/16/16
to graduate-sch...@googlegroups.com, Shobhit Sachdeva
I don't know about UT Austin's Aerospace program. But Austin is a great town.

CCing Shobhit Sachdeva (2009, MPAE) who is at UT here. I'm sure he has more insight.