Sort by date to include subtasks (Suggestion)

Matthew Reischer

Jul 14, 2016, 3:59:05 PM7/14/16
to GQueues Discussion Forum

Hi,
Sometimes I have a a task with no due date, but one or more of it's subtasks has a due date.
It would be great if the earliest date of a subtask would inherit to the parent task for sorting and visibility purposes.

The subtask would display "Jul 25", the parent task (if there was no date) would display "(Jul 25)" which would be the least or all due dates for that task and it's subtasks.

Thanks!

Sorting with the parent task visible and subtasks hidden would use this "inherited" date.

Hope that makes sense.

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Jul 15, 2016, 11:48:16 AM7/15/16
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback, Matthew.  I understand what you are describing.  It seems like it might be fairly complex to implement, but we'll consider it as a possible enhancement.

-Cameron

Cameron Henneke
Founder, GQueues

"The leading Google-integrated task management service for people and teams."

Matthew Reischer

Jul 15, 2016, 1:09:19 PM7/15/16
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cameron,

Right now, I have promote the subtask so that it sorts as a top level task.
That could be OK, but the parent task and subtask lose their context, If the promoted subtask is "Call Joe", I may no longer know which Joe or why. If there is another subtask to follow in sequence, that information is lost as well.

I understand that a solution may be difficult to implement.  Each task would need new internal fields like "greatest sort date", "least sort date" in addition to the existing due date, and you would have to modify the sort routines to utilize the new fields. The search routine should be OK as is.

I always sort by date in ascending order.  If you can make that assumption, it will simplify the job greatly.  It might be worth doing that and wait to see if anyone complains (agile development?)

That would mean you can have field "display date" which is the lesser of the the dates of a task and its children and has an unambiguous definition.  That could be displayed where the current date is, but perhaps with font change or parens() to indicate it is inherited.

Of course you would also need triggers to update the "display date" whenever a subtask is modified.  If you don't have that available, it will be tough.

Anyway, thanks for considering this and you can file this email however you please...

Matthew Reischer, MSME
Northeastern Energy Consultants
Voice 856-448-4069
Fax 866-670-4065